• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to remove your account"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    It was a joke, lighten up Lance...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Use IPv6 - pretty anonymous
    how so?
    Just because there's a lot, doesn't make it any more anonymous. ISPs still have a legal obligation to track their usage.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Use IPv6 - pretty anonymous

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    that's more a request to have a name you choose though.
    Stick your IP in here Reverse IP Lookup - MxToolbox
    Thanks! Just resolves to BT, which I suspect is the default unless you request otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I wonder if that's the same for BT?

<scurries off to check>

Phew. It's on request and at their discretion, so it's highly unlikely to be in place for my account
    How can I set up a reverse DNS on my domain name? | BT Business
    that's more a request to have a name you choose though.
    Stick your IP in here Reverse IP Lookup - MxToolbox

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Innerestingly, if you have a plusnet broadband line and have a fixed IP (£5 one off fee), you have a DNS PTR record with your surname in.
    I wonder if that's the same for BT?

<scurries off to check>

Phew. It's on request and at their discretion, so it's highly unlikely to be in place for my account
    How can I set up a reverse DNS on my domain name? | BT Business
    Last edited by ladymuck; 8 February 2021, 11:25.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's a generic userid, and CUK has no right of access to SP's IP records. If Stevie Wonder Boy wants to anonymise his email address, it's not hard. Just change it to a burner email address. But I suspect that Blunder Boy just has to be right.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Your IP Address is... You are wrong.
    Only in certain circumstances as established by the CJEU

Court confirms that IP addresses are personal data in some cases | White & Case LLP

It is only personal data from the point of view of a website operator if:

1. there is another party (such as an ISP) that can link the IP address to the identity of an individual; and
    2. the website operator has a "legal means" of obtaining access to the information held by that other party in order to identify the individual.

In this case the site operators have no way to obtain information from your ISP that would allow them to identify you.

Also, your email address is not automatically personal data unless it can be used to directly identify you. For corporate addresses this is usually cut and dried. [email protected] gives your name and employer and so would allow you to be identified.
    [email protected] (for example) is not an identifier for the purposes of this site as it does not allow the site operator to directly identify you from it. If you used a corporate email with your full name and employer in it, then that would be personal data and you can ask to have it deleted as previously advised.

When reading the ICO site and regulations you need to be careful with your interpretation. Where a statement from the ICO says "may be an identifier" it des not automatically mean it is, the circumstances and subsequent case law have to be taken into account.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Not exactly.

If it is possible to personally identify you with your IP address then it is PII.
    Innerestingly, if you have a plusnet broadband line and have a fixed IP (£5 one off fee), you have a DNS PTR record with your surname in.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    What is personal data? | ICO.

Just to be clear the ICO agrees. They will levy the fine.
    Not exactly.

If it is possible to personally identify you with your IP address then it is PII.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    What is personal data? | ICO.

Just to be clear the ICO agrees. They will levy the fine.
    COULD be an IP address. But only if it is possible to identify a person.
    You need to read the whole document not cherry pick one sentence you bozo....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Mornin’. Oh, look, it’s snowing...
    Here as well.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Mornin’. Oh, look, it’s snowing...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    An IP Address is personal information.

I will do this.
    No it isn’t. It can only be identifiable to a household, and only by the provider or law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X