• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Police National Computer"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    I did also note that the data was described, by themselves so could be misleading, as Records of arrests where NFA was taken. So the question here is whether the 'deletion' was deliberate as holding this kind of data is very contentious. Storing of ALL DNA evidence collected is similarly contentious.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Large enterprise provider like IBM (was?)

I have to say darmy you have really came out as a cretin this year, I'll have to add a Suprise New Entry category just for you.
    You are so easy to wind up, I sometimes think you're a little bit Trumpian, what, with your fascination for guns, the constant posting of bollocks on the Internet, the list goes on and on and the phrase you were looking for is 'plug compatible' and you still don't know what you're talking about which is also very Trumpian...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    What on earth is an IBM alike? Not only do you still don't know what you're talking about, you don't even know what you're writing
    Large enterprise provider like IBM (was?)

I have to say darmy you have really came out as a cretin this year, I'll have to add a Suprise New Entry category just for you.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    What on earth is an IBM alike? Not only do you still don't know what you're talking about, you don't even know what you're writing
    And how many people on here pay massive premium for vendors like IBM alikes if it was their own money vs viable much cheaper alternatives?

IBM alikes was ok in 70s, 80s maybe even 90s. but certainly not past 2010
    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And how many people on here pay massive premium for vendors like IBM alikes if it was their own money vs viable much cheaper alternatives?

IBM alikes was ok in 70s, 80s maybe even 90s. but certainly not past 2010

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I can still restore data from 10 years ago, you have to remember that these systems have been going for years so their procedures tend to have evolved over time and are pretty failsafe apart from 'between chair and keyboard problem' which seems to have happened here

Only 10 years ago? We have 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    AIX and AS/400 are not mainframes I'm afraid, in fact one is an operating system

Doh, I know that, however the gouging is apparently the same. As aTw says its peanuts for storage.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You still have no idea what you're talking about do you?
    I have good idea how to solve complex large scale data problems without paying King's ransom for it.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    so who's cat's got the biggest bolloks?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    You still have no idea what you're talking about do you?
    Govt is big enough of a client to have multiple fully owned secure data centers (not with ancient mainframes either) - it's not like digital storage is something that will disappear anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I can still restore data from 10 years ago, you have to remember that these systems have been going for years so their procedures tend to have evolved over time and are pretty failsafe apart from 'between chair and keyboard problem' which seems to have happened here
    Well I hope you do have backups

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Well yes, very true. That would work really well with a national police database covering everything from ANPR records to anti-terrorism intelligence.
    Govt is big enough of a client to have multiple fully owned secure data centers (not with ancient mainframes either) - it's not like digital storage is something that will disappear anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    AIX and AS/400 are not mainframes I'm afraid, in fact one is an operating system
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It was an attempt at humour.

But are you saying buying a disk from the approved supplier like Fujitsu is anywhere the same cost as buying from Insight or similar? If you don't buy from the vendor how does that affect your maintenance?

The PNC mainframe is a modern one then?

Buying a server disk from the manufacturer was normally 2+ times the price of buying in channel.

My experience was with AIX & As400 boxes 10 - 20 years ago, it may have changed since then but I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Obviously not (flash is the most expensive part tho made by very few firms now), and obviously Fujitsu with their prices should have been told to fook right off.

No wonder people flock to AWS
    Well yes, very true. That would work really well with a national police database covering everything from ANPR records to anti-terrorism intelligence.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Thought so. But is it made by Fujitsu and sold to the Government?
    Obviously not (flash is the most expensive part tho made by very few firms now), and obviously Fujitsu with their prices should have been told to fook right off.

No wonder people flock to AWS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X