• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Infosys confident in UK market after Brexit"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    twas ever thus.

Nothing new here. Insource, outsource, offshore, bestshore. Every CIO needs a big thing to do before he goes to balls up the next company.
    Right now it's cloud. the best bet for UK contractors is be ahead of the curve so you get chosen to either do it, or assure what the wobbleheads are doing.
    Also to get skills that are in demand, have a long shelf life, and not easily replicated by IT outsource companies.

I, like at least one other on here (possibly 2), have moved into a niche role that sits between IT and Finance. I build/implement Accounting/Finance systems and processes. Technically not that hard to learn, but you also need to be ideally a qualified accountant and that's the USP for me.

Maybe too old for some on here, but for the younger guys, certainly think about how you can protect your skills and role going forward.

And I did my professional quals in my own time, at my own expense, whilst working full time, when I was in my 20's so there are no excuses really. I topped this up with an MBA, again own time and expense, in my 30's whilst also working full time. Takes a bit of planning and hard work but it is possible to protect yourself from outsourcing.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now
    Last edited by Whorty; 27 January 2021, 12:14.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I doubt it.

It always comes down to money. And that includes backhanders and bonuses. Management in charge don't care about long term results provided by the offshore firms, because they're (management) not around long enough to suffer from the fallout.
    +1 this

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    My client is on stage 3 of this merry go round
    One of mine skipped the first two and went straight to number 3. Then Tupe'd 90% of their UK staff to them...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Until they realise (or Infosys makes sure that) it's not possible to run from India and they are all on-shored
    I can pretty much say that they won't be on-shored for this project.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    They are all in India and the USA. This is a large project being run out of the USA to move some development for a new product in the EU and away from the UK sadly...There will be none of their staff going to the UK or EU, possibly the USA but primarily in India. The end product will be run in the EU
    Until they realise (or Infosys makes sure that) it's not possible to run from India and they are all on-shored

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    There should be a test at the end. Failing it means no visa
    They are all in India and the USA. This is a large project being run out of the USA to move some development for a new product in the EU and away from the UK sadly...There will be none of their staff going to the UK or EU, possibly the USA but primarily in India. The end product will be run in the EU

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Giving a training course to Infosys this week, should be fun as I've never done a remote one ever (via Teams)
    There should be a test at the end. Failing it means no visa

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Giving a training course to Infosys this week, should be fun as I've never done a remote one ever (via Teams)
    Ask InfoSys to train you first?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Plan B idea then...start up your own outsourcing company only using people who are British and live in Britain and will be working in Britain. What's not to like?
    Margins

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    It gets worse!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    I did a Scala gig two years ago at a bank (big data).

They had outsourced to IS for the development, after 20 months nothing working had been delivered so they got in three contractors. The code compiled but seemed to have no discernable executable path and was incomprehensible gibberish. We completed the first phase in three months, I started again from scratch. I then left as the commute was too hard and we had a small baby keeping me up at night.

A year later they sacked all the contractors and sent the code back to IS because of IR35.

This is going to be a car-crash.

The Conservative party has become like the Republican party in the US, every term in office is just an opportunity to milk opportunities for your mates at the expense of the middle-class.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I doubt it.

It always comes down to money. And that includes backhanders and bonuses. Management in charge don't care about long term results provided by the offshore firms, because they're (management) not around long enough to suffer from the fallout.
    Backhanders, nice Christmas gifts or a promise of a comfy role at retirement. People should be reminded that the ones screwing them are their own. They shouldn't take revenge at the naive immigrant wanting a better life, outsourcing company filling a gap in market, it is the middle and upper management that is perpetuating this. The one so entitled they probably voted for brexit also... because why not. More gravy train.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    All they do is go to another one Infosys-->HCL--->TCS--->Cognizant--->Etc

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Exactly

Of how much more they can save by replacing cognizant with wipro (Lloyd’s 2018) total tulip show

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Zactly.....if any major company had experienced the ****wittery of outsourced IT, it was Lloyds/HBOS (and I'm going back pre offshoring to their days of getting their £1M Powerpoints from Accidenture).

Has it put them off doing it again (and probably again) ? No.

Anyone who says organisations who have experienced it will stop doing it is dreaming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X