• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Big Data

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big Data"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    INKSPE
    We scrape by.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Just closing in on £1,000 pd thank you very much. PowerPoint and gravitas... and subbies of course
    INKSPE

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    oh you are a dreamer Old Smeg you will breach £100 a day, one day.
    Just closing in on £1,000 pd thank you very much. PowerPoint and gravitas... and subbies of course

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And how does he achieve the remaining 800 pd?

oh you are a dreamer Old Smeg you will breach £100 a day, one day.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Call yourself a Data Scientist and double your rate.
    And how does he achieve the remaining 800 pd?

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    My technical vocabulary is getting a bit out of date.

Where I work there are a bunch of clouds, data lakes, non-relational databases, microservices and such like. Lots of information zipping about.

So my questions:

1. Is this big data?

2. Can I raise my rate to a grand a day?

Failing that.

1. Is this DevOps

2. Can I raise my rate to a grand a day?

I don’t want to repeat my mistake of rejecting all the jobs that wanted “Redbrick Universities” because I thought I’d have to work with plebs.
    Call yourself a Data Scientist and double your rate.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Not the end of the world if the data is stored in SQL which is what it sounds like and they are just doing some analysis in excel. Sure there might be better solutions but excel is fine (maybe even the tool of choice in some cases) for a bit of ad hoc analysis... it just fails as data storage.

That is exactly what is happening after I forced them into it. Previously it was all done in Excel and stored on a network share. Then they wanted to control it and report on it. Excel is acting as a screen and a button to confirm. Stored procedures run by VBA, I still feel dirty!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    People here are mean. I thought this was a highly entertaining start to a thread then the usual trolls poisoned it.

HB is an obvious ages sockie from one of the usual old mean troll posters...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    People here are mean. I thought this was a highly entertaining start to a thread then the usual trolls poisoned it.

HB - if you have a data lake, make sure it is a lake and not a pond. The difference is its depth. If you have a shallow body of data, it's a pond. If it's deep enough to have a zone where daylight can't reach, it's a lake. If you truly have the latter then that's where data mining (another handy term to know) comes in. I've not yet figured out how one mines a lake, although GoT could give you tips on how to go fishing with dynamite.

If going for the suggested plan B you could also incorporate some of pooper's charts into your powerpoint slides as that will help illustrate your expertise.
    You can mine the data lake using R. But beware of pirates.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    FFS, this is exactly why we shouldn't joke about this stuff.

Saying that though, i've made a career out of working with finance depts fixing their issues so maybe i shouldn't complain

I am a realist!

(sh)it happens....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Saying that though, i've made a career out of working with finance depts fixing their issues so maybe i shouldn't complain
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Apparently our finance team are working on a "database", its an excel file with about 2000 lines in it refreshed from SQL.
    Not the end of the world if the data is stored in SQL which is what it sounds like and they are just doing some analysis in excel. Sure there might be better solutions but excel is fine (maybe even the tool of choice in some cases) for a bit of ad hoc analysis... it just fails as data storage.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Apparently our finance team are working on a "database", its an excel file with about 2000 lines in it refreshed from SQL.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Chuck in a bit of power pivot and you've got yourself a database!
    Nooooooo Don't even joke about using Excel as a DB

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I wouldn't call it an excel file even I would call it a disaster waiting to happen.
    an overarching term for some finance teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X