• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "High Street not so dead"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are that person I see in large shops or shopping centres sitting on the sofas/chairs playing with your phone and looking bored....
    Unlikely to see me in a shopping centre in the first place, even pre-COVID. I find them so draining with the exception of IKEA when it's not busy, which is kind of interesting. Quite like Wilko too.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Sad pathetic bastards: Watch - Midnight queues as Primark opens overnight at end of lockdown

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Shopping is already an 'experience' for me, it's just a terrible one. The best 'shopping experience' is to sit in the pub while someone else does the shopping.
    You are that person I see in large shops or shopping centres sitting on the sofas/chairs playing with your phone and looking bored....

I do however feel sorry for blokes being dragged cushion shopping by their girlfriend.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Shopping is already an 'experience' for me, it's just a terrible one. The best 'shopping experience' is to sit in the pub while someone else does the shopping.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Mostly Captain Samuel Vimes' descendants.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    primark, h&m, next, new look, all the others...same quality. everything is made by the same underpaid bangladeshi children.
    M&S and the supermarkets use the same suppliers.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Except primark is like 1/3 the price of the rest of those.
    the power of marketing/brand.

selling the same cr4p to different customers at different prices.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Can't afford Italian? Sorry to hear that

Kidding aside, I've watched a documentary about suits a few years ago and apparently Hungary kicks ass. Like, a lot of good brands have their suits and jackets made there, from your average M&S to the more expensive Ted Baker.
    Italian clothes are fantastic. There used to be a local Italian owned shop who imported selected items from Italy but sadly he
    has gone. Client Co is in Milan and I bought a couple of trousers on the last trip at 30e each plus some leather belts.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I always look at the label. I don't but anything made in Bangladesh because the quality is so poor, even the dye runs when washed. My leather jackets are Turkish and the vast majority of suits and jackets are German or Turkish; they wear very well and are not more expensive than ones made elsewhere.

Tip; If you go on holiday to Turkey take any shoes and sandals that need repairing. They are brilliant at repairs.
    The only time I've had a regular tailor was when I worked in London. The Turkish gent was a whizz at adjusting my new shop bought clothes.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    primark, h&m, next, new look, all the others...same quality. everything is made by the same underpaid bangladeshi children.
    Except primark is like 1/3 the price of the rest of those.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    the vast majority of suits and jackets are German or Turkish
    Can't afford Italian? Sorry to hear that

Kidding aside, I've watched a documentary about suits a few years ago and apparently Hungary kicks ass. Like, a lot of good brands have their suits and jackets made there, from your average M&S to the more expensive Ted Baker.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I always look at the label. I don't but anything made in Bangladesh because the quality is so poor, even the dye runs when washed. My leather jackets are Turkish and the vast majority of suits and jackets are German or Turkish; they wear very well and are not more expensive than ones made elsewhere.

Tip; If you go on holiday to Turkey take any shoes and sandals that need repairing. They are brilliant at repairs.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    I usually get a year or so out of most of the stuff I buy there. Great place to just buy simple basic stuff. Quality isn't any worse then any other fast fashion brand but still like a fraction of the price.
    Bizarre maybe, but it's not the price that draws me back, it's the styling.

Generally their clothe designers really know what they're doing.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Nope, it isn't.

It used to be 4 or 5 years ago but they've improved the quality of their stuff and I'm wearing jumpers and shirts I bought there 2 or 3 years ago.

I'm probably not the norm though, admittedly...
    I usually get a year or so out of most of the stuff I buy there. Great place to just buy simple basic stuff. Quality isn't any worse then any other fast fashion brand but still like a fraction of the price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X