• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't Drink The Water!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    There seems to be some conflicting thoughts on that. In some areas beer was considered more nutritious than water and in others it was due to water quality. A quick google brings up both theories.
    I always understood beer as being the water substitute and Gin being the luxury due to relative cost.

though some suggest that water was the norm.

Did Medieval People Drink Beer Instead of Water? | HowStuffWorks

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It was beer they drank instead of water, wasn't it?
    There seems to be some conflicting thoughts on that. In some areas beer was considered more nutritious than water and in others it was due to water quality. A quick google brings up both theories.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Gin was originally popular as it was healthier than drinking the water in 18th century got you drunk and was cheap and easy to produce
    It was beer they drank instead of water, wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Texas residents warned over brain-eating microbe in tap water | London Evening Standard

Residents of a city in Texas have been warned to be careful with tap water, after a deadly brain-eating microbe was found in the water supply.

Lake Jackson was one of eight communities in Texas that were told not to use tap water on Friday after tests confirmed the presence of Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba that can cause a brain infection.

Authorities launched the probe after the death of a six-year-old boy earlier this month.

Warnings were lifted for seven of the communities on Saturday but remain in place for Lake Jackson, a city of nearly 27,000 people near the coast, south-west of Houston.

City authorities said in a statement that people must boil tap water before drinking it. Residents were also told including to not to go up their noses while taking a shower or bath.

Children, people with weakened immune systems and the elderly are "particularly vulnerable," they added.
    Not just Texas -

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Drink gin, not water!
    Gin was originally popular as it was healthier than drinking the water in 18th century

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Drink gin, not water!
    Save gin, bath with a friend. No, that's not right, is it...

Leave a comment:

• Rearden Metal
    replied
    Never have done since I worked in the Middle East and all the water comes from desalination plants and tastes absolutely rank.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post
    How on earth could you not notice one of these buggers going up your nose?

I read some survival book that said never piss directly into water in the tropics, either hit something solid and make the flow break or get in the water and piss while you are clothed. Things can swim faster than your flow.

I always though it was BS, I googled it there...

BBC - Earth - Would the candiru fish really eat your genitals?

and got as far as "amputate the penis"

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Nope, you post about shagging other people's mothers...
    Perfectly normal.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

That's alright son!

Leave a comment:

• ravenshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Residents were also told including to not to go up their noses while taking a shower or bath.
    How on earth could you not notice one of these buggers going up your nose?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I'm not the one who posts about brexit in General or compares us to Russia during the German Blockade and looks forward to eating brexiteers.

Your definition of normal is far short of mine.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Real Ale & Scotch but agree the principle!
    I was going to asterisk it with 'other beverages are available' but knew that sensible people wouldn't need such a qualifier.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Drink gin, not water!

Real Ale & Scotch but agree the principle!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X