• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best contract: Direct to end client or through a consultancy"

Collapse

• AlonsoHarris
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Day to day comfort - option 1. Long term career progress - option 2. I've found the people and orgs I meet and work with via option 2 are more likey to be the sort that will come back to me later on etc.

Direct to an end client can be very pleasant, but you're generally working with perms for that organisation who while usually friendly, aren't likely to pick up the phone to you again in any meaningful way.

I actually attribute much of my contracting success to predominantly working through consultancies - I think it makes for a stronger CV, and forces you stay in the consultant mindset.

Good points and I'd take the point of working with perm further... IME as a contractor I much working with other contractors than perms. Less politics.

Leave a comment:

• AlonsoHarris
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yes. Small amendment:

One of the most enjoyable contracts I've done was via a very small niche consultancy run by a really decent and good chap. Anything involving a big consultancy has been an unhappy experience. Apparently I'm not a good corporate citizen.
    I hear that!

Leave a comment:

• AlonsoHarris
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What's the point of giving you advice.. You don't follow it...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2687122
    Been a while since I've been on here so it must've slipped my mind. I'll be sure to follow your advice next time and keep the standards high!
    Last edited by AlonsoHarris; 18 September 2020, 00:20.

Leave a comment:

• AlonsoHarris
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Is this hypothetical, or is this a situation you're currently faced with?
    Nothing concrete at the minute but I'm anticipating this very situation and want to make the right call.
    Last edited by AlonsoHarris; 18 September 2020, 00:19.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Depends on the consultancy, I guess.
    Yes. Small amendment:

One of the most enjoyable contracts I've done was via a very small niche consultancy run by a really decent and good chap. Anything involving a big consultancy has been an unhappy experience. Apparently I'm not a good corporate citizen.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What's the point of giving you advice.. You don't follow it...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2687122

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    FOG

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Day to day comfort - option 1. Long term career progress - option 2. I've found the people and orgs I meet and work with via option 2 are more likey to be the sort that will come back to me later on etc.

Direct to an end client can be very pleasant, but you're generally working with perms for that organisation who while usually friendly, aren't likely to pick up the phone to you again in any meaningful way.

I actually attribute much of my contracting success to predominantly working through consultancies - I think it makes for a stronger CV, and forces you stay in the consultant mindset.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    But if I have a choice between contracting with Client A via a consultancy and Client B via a pimp, all other things being equal, I would choose Client B.
    Depends on the consultancy, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    whichever pays the best
    FTFY direct payment cycles can be awfully long. > 90 days with some large orgs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Direct. Too many inexpert bs merchants in the consultancies, desperate not to have their reliance on generic management consultancy frameworks shown up by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Is that the bloke who takes over from you?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's fine to have a preference but you often don't get the chance to exercise it. Some clients will contract directly, others won't.
    But if I have a choice between contracting with Client A via a consultancy and Client B via a pimp, all other things being equal, I would choose Client B.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Is this hypothetical, or is this a situation you're currently faced with?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    whichever pays the most

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's fine to have a preference but you often don't get the chance to exercise it. Some clients will contract directly, others won't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X