• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Extinction Rebellion Are Back!"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A political party needs to have views on more than just one topic.

Interesting you view social justice as 'nonsense'.
    It's nonsense until it affects you personally. This is what people are now finding out about the benefit changes due to the fall out from Covid-19.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.... hopefully opinion is changing.

Don't get me started on packaging social justice with environmental issues. 80% of the communication from the green party is about social justice and other nonsense. and only about 20% is actually about the environment.

We don't need to destroy the economy and support marxist organisations to fix the environment. We just need to make some regulatory changes and let the private sector handle the rest.
    A political party needs to have views on more than just one topic.

Interesting you view social justice as 'nonsense'.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yes - George Soros just appoints the leaders of each movement from a pool.

You been reading the same comments pages as me?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Don't get me started on packaging social justice with environmental issues. 80% of the communication from the green party is about social justice and other nonsense. and only about 20% is actually about the environment.

We don't need to destroy the economy and support marxist organisations to fix the environment. We just need to make some regulatory changes and let the private sector handle the rest.
    Tell me you don't think the Green Party is a Marxist organisation!

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    If it couldn't be felt or seen, people wouldn't be making it into such a big deal. Of course we are told there is a pretty long lag, presumably a few decades, so people ARE being asked to act now on the basis of changes they won't see.

Maybe. In only a very few years public opinion has changed MASSIVELY on plastic. If climate change becomes genuinely a mainstream hot topic in the same way, then governments may be pressured. We might ask does anyone really think protests are going to have any effect on racism... probably better to have the protests and see than not bother.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The problem with making climate change the big bag environmental issue to get behind is that it's a global problem. It's also not tangible in any way. You can't feel or see climate change. It's an invisible enemy.
    If it couldn't be felt or seen, people wouldn't be making it into such a big deal. Of course we are told there is a pretty long lag, presumably a few decades, so people ARE being asked to act now on the basis of changes they won't see.

Does anyone really think that protests are going to be able to get people to stop consuming carbon or even get the government to implement any new policies when over half the people in this country don't even ******* recycle (something that takes very minimal additional time and costs virtually nothing)
    Maybe. In only a very few years public opinion has changed MASSIVELY on plastic. If climate change becomes genuinely a mainstream hot topic in the same way, then governments may be pressured. We might ask does anyone really think protests are going to have any effect on racism... probably better to have the protests and see than not bother.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    The problem with making climate change the big bag environmental issue to get behind is that it's a global problem. It's also not tangible in any way. You can't feel or see climate change. It's an invisible enemy. Its not a local or national environmental issue. UK could literally stop producing or using carbon tomorrow and it wouldn't change a thing. Global environmental measures always get watered down to get enough countries to agree to them that they will at best delay the issue a few years.

I would rather environmental groups take a more local approach. Get people caring about local environmental issues, ones they can actually fix and see a tangible result. The air quality in the major cities here are some of the worst in the world. There are plenty of other environmental issues that exist in local ecosystem that can be tackled and that impact quality of life locally.

When you start getting these more tangible results you will get more buy in from general public and you will get a more environmentally more aware society and should result in government with strong environmental policies. Hopefully that can spark similar movements elsewhere and then we can maybe get enough momentum to tackle global climate change.

Does anyone really think that protests are going to be able to get people to stop consuming carbon or even get the government to implement any new policies when over half the people in this country don't even ******* recycle (something that takes very minimal additional time and costs virtually nothing)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Are XR led by the same people at the top of BLM, they seem to share similar extreme anti-capitalist views?
    Yes - George Soros just appoints the leaders of each movement from a pool.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are XR led by the same people at the top of BLM, they seem to share similar extreme anti-capitalist views?

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Why won't they glue themselves to some satellite rocket without anybody noticing?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I may be reading you guys wrong, but I get the feeling there are a few fans of the XR movement on here. You might want to donate to the cause so this page might be of interest

Donate for Life - Extinction Rebellion UK

What I do find 'funny' is we know that climate change is happening as we're seeing it ourselves each year. It will be our kids, and their kids who will suffer worse, and yet many who have procreated don't seem to care. Very strange.

I'm a bit meh ... I haven't bred so my perfect genes die with me. I'd have thought those that have bred might be a smidge more concerned how their kids and grandkids might suffer though
    The response to Covid-19 is the response to climate change in a microcosym. Deny it , or more brutally - ignore it, while it kills people in "far away lands". Ignore all the warnings, then when it hits you, get hit hard and realise that the world economy can't help you.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Just been out with some neighbours cleaning up the street after XR came through. We removed all the posters cleaned up most of the graffiti but some paint has soaked into the bricks, front doors damaged and to shops and doors to flats above. Traffic signs were covered with sticky paste and posters. Only if I knew where the organisers live...
    Not very environmentally friendly to leave all that rubbish behind.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Just been out with some neighbours cleaning up the street after XR came through. We removed all the posters cleaned up most of the graffiti but some paint has soaked into the bricks, front doors damaged and to shops and doors to flats above. Traffic signs were covered with sticky paste and posters. Only if I knew where the organisers live...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Oh, they're marxists. I should support them then.

Hey its what we all expect from the feeble minded

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'd bully OG, but he just doesn't react. So what's the point?
    Bullying vetran has made you lazy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X