• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PMP certification

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PMP certification"

Collapse

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I would disagree with you because a significant number of non contracts require PM certification because they require the candidate to have an understanding of procedures. I have worked in corporates where they even require help desk staff to take PM qualls.
    PMP is a professional designation not just a cert like Prince2. They aren't equivalent.

PMP has an experience component Prince2 does not. A technical resource should not be able to qualify for PMP unless they lie when submitting their experience.

I think CAPM is the no experience cert from PMI.

I do know some help desk staff who have taken Prince2 through their work as well but they didn't need it to get the job and they were permies so their employer paid for their course and exam.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Ohh in 20 years in project management I’ve never heard

Let’s get the PM with PMP or Prince they will be better

Like an MBA or PHD in contracting - useless
    We're not advocating here whether the OP should or shouldn't get PMP or P2 for that matter for the needs of a role, but whether he/she can put the costs through the LTD. It's up to him/her to decide if the qualification is right for them and the type of clients they work for.

As for me, been in PM roles for close on 20 years like you and whilst we know that these quals don't necessarily make you a better PM, they are valued by clients and having them if only to get the foot in the door of the interview is worth it.

I've never had a client say they want a PM without P2, but many who said they want a PM with P2.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Unfortunately I have seen exactly those requirements made by central government.

The MBA was worse than useless.
    The PHD could no solve simple issues.
    All PMs had to have P2, which is OK. However, having P2 or PMP does not make a good PM.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Its nice to see someone who understands the basics. In my experience the amount of PMs who coast until the last minute then start shouting and blaming the others greatly outnumbers the ones who create a plan, properly estimate it and then try to keep everyone on track while minimising surprises.

Did Prince2 years ago and I use its teachings regularly. I am not a PM (been there hated that).

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I would disagree with you because a significant number of non contracts require PM certification because they require the candidate to have an understanding of procedures. I have worked in corporates where they even require help desk staff to take PM qualls.
    Like I say, and NLUK too, it can be a grey area. It really does depend what you sell yourself as and whether you're getting new skills or enhancing existing skills/offering to client.

If you're a developer who leads teams and hence 'PM's' their area then it's OK. If however you're on a help desk but want to train to be a PM and sell those skills in the future then HMRC would argue this is a new skill.

To be honest though, HMRC are very unlikely to check up and so long as the costs are low compared to revenue and your accountant is happy then no one is really going to know.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'd agree but you don't need full PMP for that.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    It's quite grey at times what 'new' is ..... if he/she is selling themselves as a PM then claiming the PMP would be fine, but if they're a developer wanting to move into PM work then it wouldn't (although I know people who have). HMRC are very unlikely to look that closely but (as you normally say) best they check with their accountant

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If its a new skill then no you can't.
    It's quite grey at times what 'new' is ..... if he/she is selling themselves as a PM then claiming the PMP would be fine, but if they're a developer wanting to move into PM work then it wouldn't (although I know people who have). HMRC are very unlikely to look that closely but (as you normally say) best they check with their accountant

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CroydonContractor View Post
    Has anyone done a PMP certification through their own ltd.company? Is it possible to do?
    If its a new skill then no you can't.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Has anyone done a PMP certification through their own ltd.company? Is it possible to do?
    Do you mean expense it through your Ltd Co?

Is training an allowable expense through my limited company

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Are you referring to expensing the cost of the certificate? Some prep course? Or something else?

Or are you referring to putting down your Ltd as your experience? You just list the projects you managed and put down the client as the contact. It's unlikely it'll get audited and they'll be contacted but still be as honest as you can when filling it out.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Do you mean, has someone done PMP and put the cost of the training through the company? There are certain rules around training costs and what you can charge back to your ltd so you might want to have a chat with your accountant. I think so long as the PMP is related to the service you currently offer, and are to enhance skills you will sell to your clients, then I would expect your accountant to be fine with it.

I put my Prince2 re-cert through my limited. I did look at PMP/PMI but none of the roles I was looking at required this on top of Prince2 (I have MSP already).

If your question is something else ... can you elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• CroydonContractor
    started a topic PMP certification

PMP certification

Working...
X