• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Home Gym Ideas

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Gym Ideas"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Absolute Beat Mode. Wow!
    Yep. He currently coaches Katie Taylor! He also personally replies to emails and posts on his forums too!

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Absolute Beast Mode. Wow!
    Last edited by RetSet; 24 July 2020, 19:53. Reason: Beast not Beat. D'oh!

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well 3rd floor is all I have, may have to limit my ideas, saying that I don't plan on deadlifting or jumping up or down, so still think it's reasonable. Perhaps a multigym thing may be too much weight in one place.

I've had a couple of people tell me the adjustable dumbbells are fiddly and not that great. Good to hear a different opinion.

Yeah I'm having issues finding anything in stock
    I moved from fixed to adjustable because I developed chronic inner elbow pain in my right arm from doing dumbell curls.

With the adjustables the weights rotate with your movement and don't stress that particular tendon.

Switched from underhand pullups to overhand pullups for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Have a look at RossTraining.com - Low-tech, high-effect training solutions for beast mode aficionados and fitness enthusiasts

It is absolutely definitive in this field.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Second the above, but I would give Starting Strength and Stronglifts a miss. There are better linear progression plans out there. GZCLP is decent, or Greyskull LP. Starting Strength the book is worth getting though if you’re new to lifting.
    Good Points, Well Made

For some reason GZCLP has passed right by me. I can see how that would be a logical primer for 5/3/1, though.

Similarly with Greyskull LP, it's a bit more 'involved' than SL & SS.

I think these would work better for a beginner who is starting out with some guidance, otherwise I would suggest SL for the first 12 weeks or so, to get the 'feel' of a structured programme before moving on. The idea of working percentages of a 'training max' that in itself is a percentage of 1 rep max (actual or calculated) is probably a bit too much for an unguided complete novice.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Second the above, but I would give Starting Strength and Stronglifts a miss. There are better linear progression plans out there. GZCLP is decent, or Greyskull LP. Starting Strength the book is worth getting though if you’re new to lifting.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    If you can free up garage space then you can set yourself up with an olympic bar & bumper plates (start with 120kg total as minimum), a flat bench, and power cage.

Then you can start with a beginners' programme:
    Starting Strength or
    https://stronglifts.com/#gref

before moving on to an intermediate programme after 6 months or so, e.g. Wendler's 5/3/1
    5/3/1: How to Build Pure Strength | T Nation

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Fiddly in what way?
    I don't know just speaking to a couple of lads and that was the comment. I assumed it was fiddly in switching the different weights.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Fiddly in what way? I've got a pair of Everlast (sportsdirect specials) for £199 each. Goes from 5kg->32.5kg in 2.5kg increments. Seem OK to me and don't take up very much space.
    I assume your question is directed at the OP and not me as we both seem to be extolling the virtues of adjustable dumbells.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Not experienced that. I have the Mens Health ones which are on the cheaper end but even these are great.
    Fiddly in what way? I've got a pair of Everlast (sportsdirect specials) for £199 each. Goes from 5kg->32.5kg in 2.5kg increments. Seem OK to me and don't take up very much space.

I've paired them with a York adjustable incline weight bench which was OK too (£70). I also picked up a leather speed rope and resistance band (more for warming up that actual resistance), and I have a Zwift compatible turbo trainer for my bike.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This might be a long-shot but any of you lot setup a home gym? I'm after ideas of what to put in there, cost, equipment recommendations.

I'm looking at spending around 2k. I already have an exercise bike and running machine. Thinking will need a range of dumbbells from 8kg to 30kg to start off with. Kettle bells, mats. Some kind of multigym thang. What else would be good?

This may be a stupid question but I'm using a 3rd floor bedroom, just wonder if there is weight limit you can have in a room? How would you even find out?
    I got myself a small multi-gym and a half-decent static bike last year, from Fitness Superstore. Went into the local branch and got a decent deal and some advice:

Schwinn 570U Upright Cycle
    BH Fitness G152X Global Gym Plus with Leg Press

Considering my equipment before that was a £80 bike and some dumb-bells, this was quite a big purchase. I converted a spare bedroom into a gym:

- stripped carpet and replaced with rubber mats (like stable flooring)
    - Got a cheap 40" UHD TV and an extra Amazon Fire TV stick
    - bluetooth earphones - turns out Fire TV supports bluetooth

Pretty happy.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

I've had a couple of people tell me the adjustable dumbbells are fiddly and not that great. Good to hear a different opinion.
    Not experienced that. I have the Mens Health ones which are on the cheaper end but even these are great.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What happened to the man cave in the garage?
    Just waiting on the door to be fitted, steps and decking, will post some pics when it's finished.

But decided it's going to be an office/golf sim room. So once you add beer/wine cooler, desk, computer, golf projection screen, projector, golf mat there really isn't enough room to have it as a proper gym. So decided to use my old office (the bedroom) as a gym.

It was a hard decision that I wouldnt wish on anyone

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    What happened to the man cave in the garage?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone setting up a home gym in 3rd floor bedroom. Is there no way you can put it on ground floor/basement?

Just generally answering the question you can either choose to go with free weights or what's a really good option is something called a functional trainer it's quite expensive but within your budget. Cheapest decent one is probably 1000 but 1500 is more realistic probably. Cables help you retain a natural range of motion and are preferable to fixed bar home gyms. You can train virtually every motion imaginable on a functional trainer and it's quite low risk for injury compared to other strength training equipment.

BodyMax CF820 Functional Trainer Dual Adjustable Pulley - Shop Online - Powerhouse Fitness

For dumbbells you don't need to buy a set of dumbbells, you can just buy a good adjustable pair. PowerBlocks are the best adjustable dumbbells and I would highly recommend them. I have used them quite a bit. They have a few different types and they have a 30 lb and 50 lb set. The 50 lb set is expandable up to 90 lbs as well. You should be able to pick a pair of them up somewhere for 250-300 or so. I paid 200 for a 50 lb set of mine several years ago and then paid about the same again for 90 lb expansion.

PowerBlock Sport 9.0 Stage 1 Adjustable Dumbells 2-22.5kgs (pair)

Its difficult to find anything in stock right now though unfortunately so good luck!
    Well 3rd floor is all I have, may have to limit my ideas, saying that I don't plan on deadlifting or jumping up or down, so still think it's reasonable. Perhaps a multigym thing may be too much weight in one place.

Yeah I'm having issues finding anything in stock

Leave a comment:

Working...
X