• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cancel Culture?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cancel Culture?"

Collapse

• Scoobos
    replied
    To OP

It's burning books innit?

If you try and "delete the past" you risk, over time, deleting the progress .

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Jobs: Unwoke HR | The job board for unwoke companies.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Hiding underneath your poorly-constructed sentence is a ridiculous falsehood.

probably

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It is WTFH the granuaid's rep on UK everything is the fault of some right wing conspiracy. Even when it isn't.
    Hiding underneath your poorly-constructed sentence is a ridiculous falsehood.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    You debate and vote using your local MP and frameworks in place. Like anything you would like to change.

Can't believe I'm even trying to argue this point, mob rule is bad in every way.

It is WTFH the granuaid's rep on UK everything is the fault of some right wing conspiracy. Even when it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I'm happy to agree to voting and debating, but do you expect a mob will accept differing viewpoints if DC tells them they are not allowed to? Given the mob that were "protecting" statues turned out to be louder and more violent than others, what is the solution to that?

Who gets to debate & vote? Is it those who live in the area, or the whole country?
    You debate and vote using your local MP and frameworks in place. Like anything you would like to change.

Can't believe I'm even trying to argue this point, mob rule is bad in every way.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I remember mine, it was all about rotational farming and such luminaries as Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep. I believe we might have covered the crusades and I remember a lot of boring crap about the Middle Ages and I recall asking if we could, you know, have something a little bit more modern, some thing the 20th century I got told to shut up. Decided to drop history for the next year and take up sewing, much more useful...
    I remember a completely mad retired (British) Indian army officer, who only cared about military history. We got a great education in the military formations of the Peninsula War and the Torres Vedras fortification system, but no insight whatsoever as to what it was all about.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    It used to, back in the day.

Though history O level stopped in 1914, having started in 1760.
    I remember mine, it was all about rotational farming and such luminaries as Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep. I believe we might have covered the crusades and I remember a lot of boring crap about the Middle Ages and I recall asking if we could, you know, have something a little bit more modern, some thing the 20th century I got told to shut up. Decided to drop history for the next year and take up sewing, much more useful...

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm inclined to agree...IF the education system covered more in its history classes than WWII.
    It used to, back in the day.

Though history O level stopped in 1914, having started in 1760.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I disagree, I have no problem with people debating and voting about which statues should be removed. ...

Things change, I get it. But I don't think the loud mob should always hold sway over the quiet majority.
    I'm happy to agree to voting and debating, but do you expect a mob will accept differing viewpoints if DC tells them they are not allowed to? Given the mob that were "protecting" statues turned out to be louder and more violent than others, what is the solution to that?

Who gets to debate & vote? Is it those who live in the area, or the whole country?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Immoveable, like a statue.
    I was trying to think of joke that involved a crowd pulling me off - couldnt make it work.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    I don't think we should put up statues just to prove that slavery was a world wide thing and not something specific to white people.

I think we should teach the truth of the past along with it's nuances and in context. Would love for kids to be taught critical and logical thinking, so at least they could challenge what they are being taught. Saying that as a kid at school I just wanted to do fun things and history was boring - so perhaps not my subject.

Anyway, toppling statues bad, reasoned thought and actions good. That's where i stand.
    Immoveable, like a statue.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Sorry meant to be little sarcastic because the story currently being told is a lie by omission. It is in some areas being used to support a Marxist movement that most normal people regardless of colour would not recognise as acceptable.
    Sorry just read the article. Surprised to see anything that reasonable and balanced in the NY Times.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I don't think we should put up statues just to prove that slavery was a world wide thing and not something specific to white people.

I think we should teach the truth of the past along with it's nuances and in context. Would love for kids to be taught critical and logical thinking, so at least they could challenge what they are being taught. Saying that as a kid at school I just wanted to do fun things and history was boring - so perhaps not my subject.

Anyway, toppling statues bad, reasoned thought and actions good. That's where i stand.

Sorry meant to be little sarcastic because the story currently being told is a lie by omission. It is in some areas being used to support a Marxist movement that most normal people regardless of colour would not recognise as acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Maybe we should instead put up statues of the slave suppliers in Bristol?

Or we could all decide it was a tulip period and we are glad it is behind us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X