• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Welcome to Cornwall"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Maybe that suggestion was well intended. But sometimes, AtW, you can be really quite annoying.
    I do my best...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

You might be able to deduct lottery ticket cost
    Maybe that suggestion was well intended. But sometimes, AtW, you can be really quite annoying.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Just thad a horrible thought.

If I did perchance win the cottage and decided to sell it, and it wasn't my primary residence, I'd have to pay capital gains tax on the whole sale price!

Feck that, I'd rather keep it and let it rot back into the ground!
    You might be able to deduct lottery ticket cost

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Technically, you could ask the raffle winner how much they took in total and use that as the buy price? The capital gains calculation may work out a lot better.
    Hmm, it's a possibility I suppose.

One could argue the other contestants subsidised my "purchase", like a parent contributing towards a buy to let which one of their offspring purchased.

But then I might be liable for a load of gift tax!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

If I did perchance win the cottage and decided to sell it, and it wasn't my primary residence, I'd have to pay capital gains tax on the whole sale price!

So you'd be willing to bin off around £275k because you'd have to pay capital gains?

Technically, you could ask the raffle winner how much they took in total and use that as the buy price? The capital gains calculation may work out a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I've bought ten tickets for this house raffle

Not much chance of winning the cottage in North Wales, but I reckon the odds are orders of magnitude better than the rip-off National Lottery

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Just heard this from someone I know in another Cornish village.

The local shop decided to introduce mandatory face covering a while ago. They've just banned a family on holiday for refusing to cover up. The family said they came on holiday to "get away from that sort of thing".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Cornwall is great if you respect it and aren't a patronising gimp. It's a totally different pace of life down there.

What is funny is when you're staying in a rented house and see the "posh people" in their twin-axle caravans hauled by Chelsea tractors. They're still pissing in a cupboard.

Golden rule to stay safe - always take your rubbish back to your accommodation. There are signs at a couple of local beaches saying "enjoy the beach and leave only your footprints behind".
    It's pretty tragic this needs to be said I mean ok, a stray wrapper from your choc-ice here and there is one thing, but just leaving a bag of rubbish lying around...

The sheer abount of crap on beaches is incredible. I loosely know a photographer down there campaigning on this sort of thing and it's heartbreaking.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I have the same message for anyone thinking of visiting Swindon.
    All three of them?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Cornwall is great if you respect it and aren't a patronising gimp. It's a totally different pace of life down there.

What is funny is when you're staying in a rented house and see the "posh people" in their twin-axle caravans hauled by Chelsea tractors. They're still pissing in a cupboard.

Golden rule to stay safe - always take your rubbish back to your accommodation. There are signs at a couple of local beaches saying "enjoy the beach and leave only your footprints behind".

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Yeah I saw that after posting my finding in what I thought was the most appropriate location and decided I really didn't care

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Tips for a hassle free holiday in Cornwall

Especially when going to local shops or pubs.

1) Don't turn up in a flash motor (if you think a 1-year old beamer is not flash, you need to reframe)
    2) If your car has a roof box, take it off and leave it where you're staying
    3) Don't wear shorts (keep these strictly for the beach)
    4) If your kids have pretentious names, don't utter those names around locals
    5) Don't be arrogant or condescending (even if you think the locals are halfwits)
    6) Don't enquire about visitor attractions or other touristy things
    7) Don't ask if they stock poncey things like Quinoa
    8) And, finally, don't look like you're having a good time

Enjoy!
    5) is not exactly Cornwall specific and shouldn't really need saying... as for 7... are you going to Cornwall in the 60s?

Cornish people are pretty laid back if you're not a dick. Parking on their drive, don't know how to navigate narrow country roads, etc

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    KUATB https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...cing-pubs.html

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Now they're electrocuting people!!

Cornish drinkers catch a different kind of buzz as pub installs electric fence at bar • The Register

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I had a go at a house raffle a good while back. I never heard the outcome so that was money wasted. Have to be a bit careful with those things as they're not regulated.

Selling our homes through a property raffle was supposed to be simple but left us losers – The Sun
    The main problem is most of the people aren't running it like a business that is handling upwards of £650,000. Renu Qadri didn't even understand the rules properly and failed to meet the critera of a raffle so running an illegal lottery, the second guy didn't set aside advertising so didn't get enough. It's not just a matter of starting a quick website and collecting over half a million in money. It's got to be done properly so in the most it's their own faults. The story about the guy deciding to keep his property isn't quite true as they put it and they were a right swindling pair anyway. Funnily enough Howard mentioned in that is one of my friends so I know he's doing it properly even if they aren't selling out.

There are a few that have sprung up recently advertising on TV and running massive marketing campaigns that look like they are going to sell and there are quite a number that sold out properly.

The law around these need changing. The idea is there but the law as it stands just isn't ready for raffles of these values and sadly draws in the wrong type of people to run them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X