• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How very unchristian of the C of E"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

The 2001 Son of God depiction makes the most sense to me.

Depiction of Jesus - Wikipedia
    Huff post - what Biblical characters may have looked like.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Germany is just a loose collection of regions, many of which had nothing in common until they were brought together.

There was a really interesting exhibition, probably at the British Museum, about German history. Fascinating stuff.
    I was going to say they were all German speaking, but there is also Frisian, Danish (and others?).

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Germany is just a loose collection of regions, many of which had nothing in common until they were brought together.

There was a really interesting exhibition, probably at the British Museum, about German history. Fascinating stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Precisely so Nigeria is a construct but they have the equivalent of Geordies & Scousers disliking each other.
    Veering off-topic, most countries are or were in origin a construct of different groups, even long-established European countries like France and Spain. England is in many ways unusual as it was created as a kingdom by King Athelstan who in 927 became not the first King of England (a territory) but the first King of the English, a defined people speaking a common language (more or less).

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    This is a reconstruction of a fragment of a 9th Century Chinese Nestorian Christian image, thought to be of Jesus, or perhaps a saint.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The whole planet is ultimately tribal with arbitrary boundaries to form countries. Usually they've bonded together forcibly or for economic reasons. They do fail, though, as illustrated in the Balkans 30 years ago.

Precisely so Nigeria is a construct but they have the equivalent of Geordies & Scousers disliking each other.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm pretty sure Robert Powell isn't from the BAME community

Which is most definitely white centric. Though at the time I suppose most Jewish people they knew had come down via the Russian Pogroms :

Pogroms in the Russian Empire - Wikipedia

These would probably be a lot paler than those who had remained in Palestine.

There does seem there has been a lot of discussion about this:

Race and appearance of Jesus - Wikipedia

Though its like on here everyone has an opinion

Actually in my mind Madonna did the most to actually challenge this for the public.

The idea Jesus could be black was greeted by horror by many. It sort of made sense to me already that he couldn't be European white. I assumed European images of him were white (made in his image) and other areas customised him so he felt nearer. This is an Ethiopian interpretation.

The 2001 Son of God depiction makes the most sense to me.

Depiction of Jesus - Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    A reminder of those sweet innocent days of two months ago.

Pastor Who Defied Social Distancing Dies After Contracting Covid-19, Church Says - The New York Times

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Coronavirus: Covid-denying priest Father Sergei Romanov seizes Russian monastery - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    So you agree Nigeria is a large country with a mix of tribal groups that aren't homogeneous.

The African continent is a group of countries / nations that don't necessarily talk happily to each other.

List of regions of Africa - Wikipedia

Its hardly Xenophobic just a statement of fact proven by history. Europe or England hardly has a better record in this case.

I have indeed seen Europeans shun each other - just try going for a beer in Belfast or parts of Eastern or mainland Europe. Surprisingly people of different ethnic origins don't always agree.
    The whole planet is ultimately tribal with arbitrary boundaries to form countries. Usually they've bonded together forcibly or for economic reasons. They do fail, though, as illustrated in the Balkans 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    That's like saying ... "I've seen Europeans shun each other ..." I know you know this, but don't fall into the ignorance of referring to Africa as a country - that is a very white xenophobic statement. Africa as a land mass is humongous, and yet so many people refer to Africans as one nation.

So you agree Nigeria is a large country with a mix of tribal groups that aren't homogeneous.

The African continent is a group of countries / nations that don't necessarily talk happily to each other.

List of regions of Africa - Wikipedia

Its hardly Xenophobic just a statement of fact proven by history. Europe or England hardly has a better record in this case.

I have indeed seen Europeans shun each other - just try going for a beer in Belfast or parts of Eastern or mainland Europe. Surprisingly people of different ethnic origins don't always agree.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Well as the area he was in was controlled by the Romans and previously the Egyptians, Persians, Alexander the great etc. it does rather put him in the oppressed minority position, the Romans most certainly didn't consider him to be one of them. The feeling was probably mutual.

Though they occasionally conferred citizenship on the locals it was mainly for political purposes.

Remember not all oppressors are called Nigel!

The colour of a Roman’s skin - Mary Beard: A Don’s life - TLS

Well actually Nigeria is like a lot of Africa and the middle east it is made up of either tribal or religious groups. Maybe they see themselves as separate and distinct? They have distinct languages and customs that define them. I have seen Africans shun each other because of their different tribes and the same with Indians who also have a caste system they use to discriminate.
    That's like saying ... "I've seen Europeans shun each other ..." I know you know this, but don't fall into the ignorance of referring to Africa as a country - that is a very white xenophobic statement. Africa as a land mass is humongous, and yet so many people refer to Africans as one nation.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    or max von sydow

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Ahhh yes, the religion that worships a BAME individual who was persecuted and murdered by the law makers.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Jesus was a black man
    No, Jesus was Batman
    No, no, no, no, not at all
    That was Bruce Wayne

Leave a comment:

Working...
X