• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this really our plan?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    There's no known cure for Swindon.
    There could be a cure for Swindon in a roundabout way

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    nah, he meant swindon

There's no known cure for Swindon.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    He didn't specify "in the UK", that was your idea.
    Nope, that was my question, not an idea.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    nah, he meant swindon

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Do you genuinely believe that millions are going to die in the UK because of Covid19?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Do you genuinely believe that millions are going to die in the UK because of Covid19?
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    He believes he's scared.
    Knowledge overcomes fear so I guess that's him bolloxed then!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    He believes he's scared.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I accept that, but we're only not he start of the journey with this virus, so we don't know how many strains of it there will be.
    Also comparing to SARS or MERS isn't that reliable.
    SARS lasted 2 years and globally there were about 8,000 cases with 800 deaths
    MERS is still going after 8 years, but only 2,500 cases and 900 deaths globally.
    CV-19 is 6 months old and already at 4.4million cases and 298,000 deaths
    Comparing to SARS, MERS or the common cold, as they are all coronaviruses, is viable as it is all we have today. We have never had a cure for any of these other viruses, and we have never created a vaccine for any of these viruses, so based on this current knowledge, we have to work on the assumption that either finding a cure or vaccine for cov-19 is unlikely.

Now, black swans exist, so unlikely doesn't mean never, but our plans need to take this into account.

We therefore need to decide whether we think we can stop this virus completely by world lockdown (impossible), or accept that it will continue to spread and kill (pretty much a given). We then need to decide how many deaths are palatable - cost of deaths via this virus vs cost of killing the economy but saving 'some' lives.

There is no right answer unfortunately. Whatever route we go people will die. As I said from day 1, those in charge have an impossible job and will never get it 'right' in the eyes of everyone. I'm glad I'm not the one having to make these decisions and can sit at home, criticise and blame and play the keyboard warrior

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think they should pile the bodies of the 300,000 dead outside the houses of those that think it's just flu and money, tax and all that bollox matters. Money doesn't matter, we can print trillions per seconds. Money doesn't exist, it's an illusion, a number in a computer.

Millions are going to die, unless everyone minimises travel and contact.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I think they should pile the bodies of the 300,000 dead outside the houses of those that think it's just flu and money, tax and all that bollox matters. Money doesn't matter, we can print trillions per seconds. Money doesn't exist, it's an illusion, a number in a computer.

Seems someone needs their safe place today.
    Last edited by Whorty; 14 May 2020, 11:30.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    How many countries will bend the knee and accept tulipcoins as their new currency?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    How many countries will bend the knee and accept Yuan as their new currency?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied

Unfortunately money as in sterling money isn't an illusion, we can only print so much before Mr Foreigner won't sell us stuff any more in return for sterling. Despite the doom sterling is still looking good so we can print within reason but we can't afford to shut up shop.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I accept that, but we're only not he start of the journey with this virus, so we don't know how many strains of it there will be.
    MERS is still going after 8 years, but only 2,500 cases and 900 deaths globally.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Not quite the same - there are hundreds of strains of the common cold, so just because you've had one strain won't stop you from getting a different strain the following week.

Better to compare cov-19 to SARS or MERS. The evidence from both of these is that, once exposed, you are then immune for a period of time, but this period is not consistent; could be a few months, could be longer.

There have been zero people who have been infected by SARS or MERS, recovered, then reinfected at a later date. But then, with MERS the death rate is much higher than cov-19 so not many survived in the first place, so not much of a population to get re-infected!

Based on the evidence currently available, someone who has been infected and recovers, from cov-19 is unlikely to be reinfected if exposed to the virus again. Of course, like all these things, this is based on what we know today; a black swan 'didn't exist' until a human first set eyes on one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X