• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coronavirus tracking app"

Collapse

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    So what is the difference between that one and this one?

Shall I unstick that one since you’ve obviously changed your mind...

Fair point. Different university, different research team, optional installation, data not shared between other universities.

I haven't been tested and most likely won't be, so once symptoms dissipate I'll be uninstalling it. Ultimately people don't have to install an app and there's no way to enforce them doing so.

If you are commanded to install this just ensure you and your friends don't.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Reminds me of this quote from B. Franklin
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
    Franklin was in fact arguing in defence of the power of government (the Pennsylvania Assembly) to impose taxes to fund the defence of the then-colony when he wrote that. The “those” in question are the Assembly, and the “essential Liberty” is the power to govern:

Franklin was writing not as a subject being asked to cede his liberty to government, but in his capacity as a legislator being asked to renounce his power to tax lands notionally under his jurisdiction. In other words, the “essential liberty” to which Franklin referred was thus not what we would think of today as civil liberties but, rather, the right of self-governance of a legislature in the interests of collective security…

Franklin was thus complaining of the choice facing the legislature between being able to make funds available for frontier defense and maintaining its right of self-governance--and he was criticizing the governor for suggesting it should be willing to give up the latter to ensure the former.

In short, Franklin was not describing some tension between government power and individual liberty. He was describing, rather, effective self-government in the service of security as the very liberty it would be contemptible to trade.
    What Ben Franklin Really Said - Lawfare

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Being safe from Covid-XX is’t “little temporary safety”

It’s fooking health safety matter - fook off with libertarian arguments, wholly inappropriate during plague season

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    oh btw - Govts (plural) already knows where you go when carrying mobile phone
    What about burner mobiles?

just asking for a friend..

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    There's a great article by Yuval Noah Harari about governments using the corona virus emergency to increase surveillance:

Yuval Noah Harari: the world after coronavirus | Free to read | Financial Times
    Reminds me of this quote from B. Franklin

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    There's a great article by Yuval Noah Harari about governments using the corona virus emergency to increase surveillance:

I've noticed the BBC talking about this more and more, getting people ready to accept it. I also think the most fascinating aspect is not the contact tracing, but the fact that it can be used to prove that you have the antibodies. We are going to move into a two tier society where those with the antibodies can go outside freely and work as normal.
    3rd tier will be those who did not make it ...

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied

I've noticed the BBC talking about this more and more, getting people ready to accept it. I also think the most fascinating aspect is not the contact tracing, but the fact that it can be used to prove that you have the antibodies. We are going to move into a two tier society where those with the antibodies can go outside freely and work as normal.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    If you agree to install any app such as this on your mobile phone you are beyond moronic and in the realms of compliance sheep mentality - sorry, 'herd' mentality, since that's the word of the week - rather than preventing the vulnerable being infected in the first place. Vulnerable extends to more than just the elderly.
    So what is the difference between that one and this one?

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Mods: worth pinning this thread?

If you, like me, have Covid19 symptoms, of any severity including hospitalisation, then please consider installing the Kings College London Covi19 symptom tracker. You can report your symptoms and location day by day from a very simple two page report that is easy to complete.

This will contribute to forming a better picture of how symptoms develop and spread directly to university research and not a private company. Android/Apple iOS:

COVID Symptom Tracker

You can't back date your symptoms but if you are keeping a diary you could start from the first date and work your way through day by day which would surely be acceptable. This is what I have done, so my symptom reports are two days behind reality.

Thanks.
    Shall I unstick that one since you’ve obviously changed your mind...

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Well it's working if this site is anything to go by ... you lot are all sh1tting your pants and looking for conspiracies all over the shop
    I'm not sh1tting anything. And you don't have to look very hard when you have an open & inquisitive mind. Unfortunately, the majority just blindly accept what they're told & go along with it.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    It will be. That's always been the intended outcome. Why they implement it in the first place is largely irrelevant, they just need to scare people enough to accept it.
    Well it's working if this site is anything to go by ... you lot are all sh1tting your pants and looking for conspiracies all over the shop

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    From the article:
    "But the academics say no-one should be forced to enrol - at least initially."
    Yes. but businesses could say: no app -no entry, entirely within their rights

Small price to re-gain “normal” life\

oh btw - Govts (plural) already knows where you go when carrying mobile phone

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    the concern I have is about things like this becoming permanent.
    It will be. That's always been the intended outcome. Why they implement it in the first place is largely irrelevant, they just need to scare people enough to accept it.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    So people won’t know that they’ve been doing it on the quiet?
    They KNOW what you're writing .... be very careful, else it's the salt mines for you citizen

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Why build an app then?
    So people won’t know that they’ve been doing it on the quiet?

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    I wasn't suggesting our government were up to no good, I think they genuinely are looking for ideas to get out of this mess and move forward, but the concern I have is about things like this becoming permanent. Last thing we need is to build a big surveillance system that could be re-purposed later on.
    Are you smoking something?

The UK Government are broadcasting that GP surgeries and hospitals are getting the PPE equipment they need. It's inadequate equipment and the incorrect equipment; they aren't getting what they need, which will result in more contagion and, by definition, more deaths.It's basically an entire lie that the distribution to the required hospitals and surgeries is the issue; it's the fact that can't even get the right kit in the first place and didn't start ordering until every other fully developed European country had filled the order books.

If you agree to install any app such as this on your mobile phone you are beyond moronic and in the realms of compliance sheep mentality - sorry, 'herd' mentality, since that's the word of the week - rather than preventing the vulnerable being infected in the first place. Vulnerable extends to more than just the elderly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X