• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Time to furlough?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to furlough?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    The reason HMRC are doing this is to avoid Universal Credit being completely snowed under

500,000 applied for it last week and that's probably accurate given the number of companies I've seen using this as an excuse to resize their workforce (remove via redundancy the ones you don't like, furlough the ones you do).

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Good lord, I bet some of these posters still believe this is a big conspiracy.

Leave a comment:

• opalspark
    replied
    Can Directors of a business furlough?

The guidance is silent on this but Ben Kerry from HMRC confirmed this morning that a director can do so provided they were paid via PAYE as at 28 Feb 2020. Company Directors can complete their statutory duties, even if furloughed. This is the only work allowed.

Found this on Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme – Key Questions Answered - Stephens Scown

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I heard he was quite a cheerful, upbeat fellow

Not sure why. He was a very naughty boy from what I heard.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Jesus ******* wept.

I heard he was quite a cheerful, upbeat fellow

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jase View Post
    Sure, go on furlough, thus admitting you are an employee (which you are not as a Director) and then enjoy the IR35 fallout
    Jesus ******* wept. Its just getting worse.

Like herding cats.. But with clueless morons instead.

I think we need to frame this one for posterity.

Leave a comment:

• Jase
    replied
    Originally posted by backagain View Post
    Just looking at HM Govs covid furlough scheme. Could be a plan especially if you are benched, want to keep the money in the company and are sitting around at home self isolated and waiting for that elusive contract to come along? I was thinking of furloughing the wife but then realized minimum period is only 3 weeks so you could furlough yourself as well.

So basically get in contact with the accountant to agree it, they rejig the payroll, you do all the bits regarding notifying your staff they are furloughed, you take a 20% paye cut and then enjoy sitting around at home doing what you want/trying to find the next contract. When that contract comes along you take yourself off furlough; could leave the wife on furlough until the contract works out and money is rolling in again.
    Sure, go on furlough, thus admitting you are an employee (which you are not as a Director) and then enjoy the IR35 fallout

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    It does appear that some people are looking to put an HMRC target on their backs. I say let 'em crack on ... it'll keep HMRC busy and they won't have the need to look at anyone else. Let them have the low lying fruit

And lets face it, the low hanging fruit is all they want.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought being the village idiot was a full time job? No furlough for you.
    It does appear that some people are looking to put an HMRC target on their backs. I say let 'em crack on ... it'll keep HMRC busy and they won't have the need to look at anyone else. Let them have the low lying fruit

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought being the village idiot was a full time job? No furlough for you.

Leave a comment:

• backagain
    started a topic Time to furlough?

Time to furlough?

Just looking at HM Govs covid furlough scheme. Could be a plan especially if you are benched, want to keep the money in the company and are sitting around at home self isolated and waiting for that elusive contract to come along? I was thinking of furloughing the wife but then realized minimum period is only 3 weeks so you could furlough yourself as well.

So basically get in contact with the accountant to agree it, they rejig the payroll, you do all the bits regarding notifying your staff they are furloughed, you take a 20% paye cut and then enjoy sitting around at home doing what you want/trying to find the next contract. When that contract comes along you take yourself off furlough; could leave the wife on furlough until the contract works out and money is rolling in again.

Working...
X