• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What shares are you buying now - if any?"

Collapse

• James Adams
    replied
    During COVID I finally ensured that property shares are worthy. Having shares in German projects on realtybundles I can still have good returns. That pleases.

Leave a comment:

• Highland
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Tell me you understand that just because Glencoe trade in commodities, when you guy their shares you are not actually buying the commodities yourself?

Buying GLEN doesn't make you a commodities trader; you're just an equity trader.

Buying coffee, steel, bog roll, makes you a commodities trader.

You draw a nice graph fella, but I do worry that you're convincing others on here that you know what you're talking about, and getting them to follow your lead. It's a dangerous game when you're unsure yourself what you're doing.
    I tried this yesterday - preserve your sanity.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Because this time it’s different.
    It may be, it may be not. We might get a black swan, and the markets never recover. The markets have, always, recovered - there is always a first time though.

Time will tell. But we'll all be experts in hindsight
    Last edited by Whorty; 18 March 2020, 12:50.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    i hope you are joking
    I hope so too, but I don't think he is.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I says get out of equities, get exposure to commodities... can’t you read??
    But you're not .... you're saying buy shares (equity) in companies that trade in commodities.

That is not getting out of equities. That is staying in equities, but just in one sector, thus putting all your eggs (are they a commodity?) in one basket.

Getting into commodities would be buying the actual commodity, not the equity of a commodity company.

You can keep squirming, but it's very clear.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    i hope you are joking

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    I do worry that you're convincing others on here that you know what you're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Just sit tight, buy more if you can, and wait for the market to rise again as it always does.
    Because this time it’s different.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    From their own website:

"We are one of leading marketers of physical commodities."

What we do

Tell me you understand that just because Glencoe trade in commodities, when you guy their shares you are not actually buying the commodities yourself?

Buying GLEN doesn't make you a commodities trader; you're just an equity trader.

Buying coffee, steel, bog roll, makes you a commodities trader.

You draw a nice graph fella, but I do worry that you're convincing others on here that you know what you're talking about, and getting them to follow your lead. It's a dangerous game when you're unsure yourself what you're doing.
    Last edited by Whorty; 18 March 2020, 08:20.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Nut View Post
    I had my isa across various index funds and panic sold them all yesterday at about 30% down

So don't worry guys now i've done that the market will fire back on all cylinders you'll be fine
    Nooooooooo - wrong time to sell. These losses are only on paper, and you only consolidate them when you cash in. Just sit tight, buy more if you can, and wait for the market to rise again as it always does.

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Businesses that people still need e.g telecoms ; BT,

Companies that will still do well, gold miners: Fresnillo, Hochschild

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The magic money tree!

Great - now we can have a proper crash.

Coronavirus: Emergency cash to help businesses and operations delayed

All non-urgent operations in England will be postponed from 15 April to free up 30,000 beds to help tackle coronavirus, NHS England has said.

The emergency policy will be in place for at least three months.

It comes as a further 14 people in England have died with the virus, as well as one each from Scotland and Wales, taking the UK death toll to 71.

And Chancellor Rishi Sunak has unveiled government-backed loans worth £330bn to prop up the UK economy.

"Never in peacetime have we faced an economic fight like this one," he said at a Downing Street press conference, as he unveiled an "unprecedented package" of measures to ease the financial burdens caused by the virus.

The £330bn in loans - equivalent to 15% of GDP - are designed to help businesses pay for supplies, rent and salaries, the chancellor said.

Other measures to be put in place include extended business rates relief and a three-month mortgage holiday for people in financial difficulty as a result of the virus.

"We must act like any wartime government and do whatever it takes to support our economy," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I'm buying Andrex and cushelle.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    No harm in buying a few solid companies like Verizon or AT&T but generally a bit early to wade in. This could be over by the end of April or it could go on for months. If it's over by the end of April, now's the time to get in, if not could get worse.

This is a lot harder to call than 2003 or 2008.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X