• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'Between Contracts' - Any Budget Relief?"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They're needed for companies of a certain size to protect the company from the employees, and directors in matters relating to workers. Since the hiring managers are directors and/or employees, they necessarily have some input into dealing with contractors. Of course, any competent* HR person would simply ensure that all contractors are outside IR35 and job done.

* I've met two competent people working in HR in thirty years.
    That's one more than I've managed to meet, and my wife was originally in HR. I'll string her along, so she keeps thinking she's the competent one...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    If HR departments did their job they shouldn't exist, they are parasites and middle men of no discernible value whatsoever.
    They're needed for companies of a certain size to protect the company from the employees, and directors in matters relating to workers. Since the hiring managers are directors and/or employees, they necessarily have some input into dealing with contractors. Of course, any competent* HR person would simply ensure that all contractors are outside IR35 and job done.

* I've met two competent people working in HR in thirty years.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Boris said small businesses can reclaim statutory sick pay for 14 days' staff isolation. Does that mean contractors are eligible?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Daley View Post
    I will ignore of the stupid responses. I have been looking around for permie work too as there's not too much point in contracting until IR35 is sorted out.

I own my home and yes, I have 3 young children.
    First one is the daftest. Don't forget to ignore that one.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Daley View Post
    I will ignore of the stupid responses. I have been looking around for permie work too as there's not too much point in contracting until IR35 is sorted out.

If you were renting (with children) you would have got some benefit with rent at least

Try the universal benefit calculator

Benefits calculators - GOV.UK

Put yourself as unemployed

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Daley
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Do you own or rent and have children ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If HR departments did their job they shouldn't exist, they are parasites and middle men of no discernible value whatsoever. The likeability aspect is part of the job and employed by con men and serial killers for the same effect, sucking in victims.
    They provide an invoice factoring service, which is their best function as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Everything is tickety-boo according to the pimps in my linkedin feed, we are moving to a new model of remote Skype interviews despite the economy collapsing all around us. Back in reality I'm seeing one or two going bust and putting up begging posts on linkedin. Hopefully that snow balls and sends the rest of the scum to the wall.
    Sadly, I doubt the 'scum' will be the first to get it in the neck. They seem to have all the survival instincts of a cockroach. We had this very same conversation after the Y2K boom, and subsequent Armageddon. All the toe-rags survived intact then, and I suspect they will survive this as well.

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Bit harsh. I've met four that I liked.
    If HR departments did their job they shouldn't exist, they are parasites and middle men of no discernible value whatsoever. The likeability aspect is part of the job and employed by con men and serial killers for the same effect, sucking in victims.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Everything is tickety-boo according to the pimps in my linkedin feed, we are moving to a new model of remote Skype interviews despite the economy collapsing all around us. Back in reality I'm seeing one or two going bust and putting up begging posts on linkedin. Hopefully that snow balls and sends the rest of the scum to the wall.
    Bit harsh. I've met four that I liked.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It takes time to build up the warchest. Not everyone has been doing this for as long as you! It is a fair question IMHO especially if the government starts enforcing stay-at-home, how are you supposed to interview?
    Maybe so but one month???

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It takes time to build up the warchest. Not everyone has been doing this for as long as you! It is a fair question IMHO especially if the government starts enforcing stay-at-home, how are you supposed to interview?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    We've closed the borders to sick people.
    That sounds like a bad move. You have a potential growth industry, and you choose to kill it now? WTAF? Bad choice of words, I know already...

(I was going to say you could really clean up, but I'm guessing you were always planning to outsource that...)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Psychocandy is our in-house benefits liaison. He'll be along shortly with a menu of wheezes and family members with corresponding cover stories (for a small fee, of course).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Failing that, of course there's always Dignitas. You may have to walk there though...
    We've closed the borders to sick people.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X