• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When I were a lad..."

Collapse

• PlanB
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Moved from the State of the Market thread.
    Probably for the best, although there are only so many times you can say the market is dead.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Suity is a man of our times.

Adapt and overcome...
    Or in suity's case, adapt.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Suity is a man of our times.

Adapt and overcome...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Wow, from MS Access to JSON in under a year. Hope you didn't get a nosebleed.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    i remember being young and impressionable too.
    I can't

Now what did I come in here for?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I remember when Dr who was good

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    i remember being young and impressionable too.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Wot? Like Doctor Who?
    I remember when Dr who was good

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    about time
    Wot? Like Doctor Who?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    about time

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Moved from the State of the Market thread.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    A what?

Loving all the yesteryear chat, btw. I think we should change the thread title to "when I were a lad..."
    Ahhh yesteryear, When girls were hairy

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Doesn't it just mean - state of the market = not what it used to be.
    Yeah probably

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    A what?

Loving all the yesteryear chat, btw. I think we should change the thread title to "when I were a lad..."
    Doesn't it just mean - state of the market = not what it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    Tedious twaddle
    ... acquisations

A what?

Leave a comment:

• BritishLad88
    replied
    Absolutely spot on by pauldee in my opinion. I actually put all this down to working practices/methodologies from 2 different environments & 2 different generations/eras.

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    That's one line of code every 3 seconds, non stop, for 8 hours. I can barely type that fast, so I struggle to think that you were stopping to think about whether you were applying the best approach.
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    You would not have survived in core banking days or cobol and RPG - code still running 85% of all banks world wide
    I worked on both sides. My current gig is with an investment bank (my second FS gig actually) down at Canary Wharf and I have colleagues who are (believe it or not) staying at their desk all day churning out code after code non stop with a narrowed solution without ever thinking of improvement of their code bases. They have their headphones plucked in and hardly speak to you. They work over 10 hours each day (1st ones in & always last ones out).

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I expect I would have been fine. You're comparing things that happened decades ago with modern coding practices.
    There may still be a lot of Cobol and RPG around but banks are slowly and painfully replacing it in order to stay competitive with the more agile Monzos and fintechs.
    Conversely, I've also worked on a few smaller-med size companies & startups where they're doing agile - one of them was actually a Monzo competitor who has close links with them (i'll leave you guys to figure out which challenger bank it was). The way they work is as pauldee mentioned already ...

In my personal opinion, and having worked in both different environments, I think in particular Investment Banking branch of FS, their methodologies to build software is maybe a bit outdated. I'm sure they're playing catch up. But as already mentioned, It wiill be slow & painful. I'm just speaking from my experience.

I know i might be making strong acquisations here but dare I say the people here who's been strongly defending the idea of non-stop churning of code is good/measure of ..... actually haven't worked in the modern software building environments & just can't accept the goodness those modern environments brings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X