• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flying and the coronavirus infection"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    This old fart was at Kew Gardens last weekend, quite crowded and lots of Chinese sorts who may have been tourists, so maybe...
    We'll light a candle for you

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    What is "oh f***" in mandarin?

I keep getting my mandarins mixed up with my tangerines.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    On the positive side
    sneeze a few times and say 'oh f***' in mandarin

and you wont have trouble getting a seat on your train.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    259 deaths, 252 recovered, 7153 cases. Curren very early estimate is that 1 in 50 people die.
    However, they were all wearing underwear at the time. Those not wearing underwear and nudists never caught the virus.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    ... but I'm sure we'll light a candle for them
    Something sure smells fishy with this. What with the outbreak in the vicinity of the main biolab in China.

[I bet you know where this is going ...]

Maybe use a Goop candle if they're back in stock after the freaks bought the first batch of 'smells like my vagina' Gwyneth Paltrow endorsed (personally I presume, does it pass the sniff test Gwyneth?) ones.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's mostly the old that are dying
    This old fart was at Kew Gardens last weekend, quite crowded and lots of Chinese sorts who may have been tourists, so maybe...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    No way of knowing what the true reality is in China so the figures are bunkum at the moment.

I wonder what they class as recovered and why there aren't more. Maybe still trying to get treatment or be given the all clear to return to general population. Meaning the danger of this isn't so much the number of dead but the number of cases overwhelming the medical facilities.

Try not to have a heart-attack or other serious illness if the hospitals start filling with manflu victims thinking they have the bat-flu.
    It's mostly the old that are dying ... the younger victims are recovering. If you're old, be scared. It would be a shame to lose some of our older members to this virus, but I'm sure we'll light a candle for them

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    259 deaths, 252 recovered, 7153 cases. Curren very early estimate is that 1 in 50 people die.
    No way of knowing what the true reality is in China so the figures are bunkum at the moment.

I wonder what they class as recovered and why there aren't more. Maybe still trying to get treatment or be given the all clear to return to general population. Meaning the danger of this isn't so much the number of dead but the number of cases overwhelming the medical facilities.

Try not to have a heart-attack or other serious illness if the hospitals start filling with manflu victims thinking they have the bat-flu.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So far 50/50 on death or recovery.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Anyone seen any predictions from the real experts, not some internet muppet, on how they see this progressing over the next few weeks and months in terms of escalation numbers?

Seen the map below, which is updated daily. So far 50/50 on death or recovery.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Will be interesting to see how it spreads outside China, where information is less likely to be suppressed.

So far not much traction but it's early days. e.g. They're trying to trace anyone those two Chinese tourists came into contact with in York, though how they trace that back to all the people since they landed in the UK is impossible. Then there's something like 15000 Chinese students they are telling to 'self-quarantine' if they are ill or came from Wuhan area.

Going to hit the supermarkets this morning while most people are still distracted with the sideshow that is Brexit. Get some long life supplies just in case there's panic and empty shelves in the coming days.

Apparently vitamin D supplements are a good idea, this time of year especially, to boost the immune system along with the more obvious vitamin C. Don't think Middle of Lidl have shotguns and shells yet but worth a look, maybe they have a pandemic survival kit on offer.

Edit: The Guardian Live Update seems a good news summary, got to be better than the Daily Mail.

Coronavirus latest updates: Australia bans foreign arrivals from China as deaths hit 259 – live news | World news | The Guardian
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 1 February 2020, 07:34.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    But we only want the right sort to die off
    More smoking. Kills people - and more plants grown.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Quite

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    With a world population at 7bn, we could do with a bit of thinning out. Wouldn't be a bad thing for the planet if we lost of few million.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    It's not so much the dying but the torture along the way. You may get pneumonia and recover after days of feeling like you're drowning.

Coronavirus: What it does to the body

Then there's the issue with other illnesses being downgraded in urgency if this kicks off proper and all the hospitals are swamped with genuine or hypochondriac cases. Not enough trained staff to cope.

Now isn't a good time to be seriously ill and it will be an even worse time if it hits hard in the coming weeks.
    With a world population at 7bn, we could do with a bit of thinning out. Wouldn't be a bad thing for the planet if we lost of few million.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X