• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who should be the next Labour leader?"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    I vote Whorty.
    he's the best.
    go Whorty go.

VOTE WHORTY!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    80% female. no gender balance in Labour.
    You could have 99% female and only 1 bloke, but Labour will still vote for the bloke. Can't see the unions wanting a woman as their leader. For a so-called equal ops party it's the only one that's never had a female leader.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    80% female. no gender balance in Labour.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Really? Jesus H Christ

You don't, er, follow politics much then? Or you're kidding and I fell for it
    I don't follow minor-league MPs who aren't in government, no. I've heard of Thornberry and I recognise Phillips from BBC Parliament - always seems to be talking - but that's it.

For that matter I could probably only name a handful of Tory MPs and I reckon about a dozen MPs in total. The noisy few get all the attention.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Corbyn was the Labour equivalent of William Hague - unelectable but had some conviction that they were right and that everyone else was wrong.

Long-Bailey (if she becomes leader) will be Labour's equivalent of IDS - unelectable and forgettable.

There's been talk of RLB/Raynor as a ticket, and also RLB/Burgon as well to keep the momentum of Corbynism going, which is why they aren't getting any blame for the disaster. See this tweet from Tom Watson:

Originally posted by Tom Watson
    John is one of the most enigmatic characters I ever worked with. We rowed but I admired his intellect and work ethic, which made him the stand out figure in his faction. The defeat is not ‘on him’ though. It is shared with the shadow cabinet and NEC, who supported the manifesto.
    For those who don't speak Labour, it translates as "John knows exactly what he's doing here, taking the blame so that those who followed the ideology can escape scrutiny and take over in a few weeks. Stop this happening if you can".

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Absolutely, but those names are fairly household.

Jess "I can't afford a printer on £80k a year so claim MP's expenses to drive to my mum's and use hers" Phillips.

Rebecca "You have no figures" Wrong Daily.

Angela Rayner, who recently suggested that Corbyn watches the Queen's Speech in the morning on Christmas Day, on catch-up, before it's been transmitted.

Emily Thornberry who scathingly tweeted an image of a terraced house in her constituency, white van outside, St.George flying atop.

They're a shower. I'm hoping for the Long-Bailey / Rayner combo that's now hotly tipped.
    Any of them would be more palatable to the electorate than Corbyn.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Jess "I can't afford a printer on £80k a year so claim MP's expenses to drive to my mum's and use hers" Phillips.

Angela Rayner, who recently suggested that Corbyn watches the Queen's Speech in the morning on Christmas Day, on catch-up, before it's been transmitted.

Emily Thornberry who scathingly tweeted an image of a terraced house in her constituency, white van outside, St.George flying atop.

They're a shower. I'm hoping for the Long-Bailey / Rayner combo that's now hotly tipped.
    Check out Long-Bailey's record of expenses... Compare them with those of her predecessor. Something does not ring true.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most of the country is getting sick of politics.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Most of the country is getting sick of politics.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't know I've heard of any of the current candidates.
    Really? Jesus H Christ

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    I voted for Abbott and Lammy ? Post-election survey: Labour's election campaign and future leadership - LabourList

Leave a comment:

• Si666
    replied
    has anyone proposed Russel Brand yet? He's been pretty quiet since it was discovered that he's not remotely funny and has no talent for acting. Am sure he'd be equally as good as anyone else on the suggested list.
    Last edited by Si666; 16 December 2019, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't know I've heard of any of the current candidates.

Historically no party has bounced back from such a trouncing in the next election but on the other hand the Tories won this largely on the back of constituencies which had in some cases never voted other than Labour, or hadn't in living memory.
    I think based on the unusual nature of this election then we can assume a large degree of bounce-back to Labour in traditional seats regardless who is leader, unless the Tories do something amazing in such areas and undo generational hatred so complacency is dangerous.

If the country goes to **** post-Brexit as many have predicted, traditional Labour areas are likely to bear the worst of it - ironically those who were most strongly pro-Brexit. In which case the Tories could be booted out through no fault of their own, even, as being seen to blame for shrinking economy, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Labour are out for the long-term now, I reckon. They'll probably need to cycle through at least one more leader after an extended period of navel-gazing.
    This, probably. Like during the 80s and 90s under Kinnock.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Diane Abbott?

Anyway, the NEC will see all these entryists and set the cut-off date to, say, 12 December.

Thereby clearing the way for the Long-Bailey/Rayner dream team*.

*tulipshow
    Rebecca Wrong-Daily? Tulipshow indeed...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X