• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Labour tax manifesto"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    Yeah, that might happen. Then again our CT rate is already higher than Ireland and not everyone is jumping ship. I was of course originally talking about how CT rate increases would affect us as contractors.
    In the UK only small/medium companies pay full CT, it's optional for the big multinationals, who'll have subsidiaries in Ireland (or Luxembourg) through which they'll bill.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Yeah, that might happen. Then again our CT rate is already higher than Ireland and not everyone is jumping ship.

I was of course originally talking about how CT rate increases would affect us as contractors.
    Post IR35, CT is the least of our worries...

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    And to be fair, companies faced with a major hike in CT will either move their profits to somewhere more sensible or simply pass the extra costs on to their clients. Neither of which will achieve the intended purpose of the rate rise.
    Yeah, that might happen. Then again our CT rate is already higher than Ireland and not everyone is jumping ship.

I was of course originally talking about how CT rate increases would affect us as contractors.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    To be fair, if profits are less than 300k it only goes up to 21%

Effectively bringing in tax bands for Corp tax again rather than one rate for all.
    And to be fair, companies faced with a major hike in CT will either move their profits to somewhere more sensible or simply pass the extra costs on to their clients. Neither of which will achieve the intended purpose of the rate rise.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Only to 26%? I admire your optimism.

On the plus side. Everything will be free and it will be "fair".
    To be fair, if profits are less than 300k it only goes up to 21%

Effectively bringing in tax bands for Corp tax again rather than one rate for all.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    You mean, like the postal vote in Peterborough? It's odd and I can see it being repeated.
    Nice dog whistle.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    On Ch4 News they've done many interviews with the general public, up and down the country, and people almost always cite Corbyn as the reason they won't vote Labour.
    By the same token, I wonder how many are voting Labour BECAUSE of him. I suspect it's a lot, e.g. anyone under 25.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Unless some very odd things happen repeatedly at a local level
    You mean, like the postal vote in Peterborough? It's odd and I can see it being repeated.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Well, kinda. Momentum found a figurehead that wouldn't oppose their extremist views: a "useful idiot" to use an old cold war term. He was elected mainly as a protest against the other candidates so was something of a gift, but we are where we are.
    Assuming Tories get a majority, Corbyn will be gone. Unfortunately, I've little confidence the Labour membership will replace him with anyone more electable.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    On Ch4 News they've done many interviews with the general public, up and down the country, and people almost always cite Corbyn as the reason they won't vote Labour.

The manifesto is just a reflection of Corbyn.
    Well, kinda. Momentum found a figurehead that wouldn't oppose their extremist views: a "useful idiot" to use an old cold war term. He was elected mainly as a protest against the other candidates so was something of a gift, but we are where we are.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    There was more than one poll in the same week as the 2017 election which had the Tories with a lead of over 10%.

I would have a contingency plan.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    If, as seems slightly more likely, there is a narrow Tory majority, you can blame the Labour manifesto, not Corbyn.

The manifesto is just a reflection of Corbyn.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The biggest problem that the Tories is the Lib Dem vote, because the Tories are basically at the level they were in the last election. If the Lib Dem vote collapses then it's a hung parliament.

The Lib Dems only need to swing 2 percentage points to Labour for a hung parliament.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 November 2019, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    While Corbyn is a liability to any right-thinking person he didn't write the manifesto, that was McDonnell and McCluskey. If they win the election, a possibility since too many people seem to have been taken in by Corbyn's doddery grandfather act, he will be gone in a matter of weeks.

If, as seems slightly more likely, there is a narrow Tory majority, you can blame the Labour manifesto, not Corbyn.

IMHO the real nightmare would be a minority Labour government, with Lib Dem support (and again, without Corbyn). Then we would be in real trouble...
    Remember kids, a Corbyn minority government is just for Christmas. Brexit is forever, along with the virtual elimination of British manufacturing (according to the Brexiteer econimist-in-chief).
    Last edited by Old Greg; 26 November 2019, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I've resigned myself to waking up on Fri 13th with that.

Such a missed opportunity by Labour not having an electable leader.
    While Corbyn is a liability to any right-thinking person he didn't write the manifesto, that was McDonnell and McCluskey. If they win the election, a possibility since too many people seem to have been taken in by Corbyn's doddery grandfather act, he will be gone in a matter of weeks.

IMHO the real nightmare would be a minority Labour government, with Lib Dem support (and again, without Corbyn). Then we would be in real trouble...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X