• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Antisemitism in Christianity"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Nobody writes jokes in base 13.
    I know Douglas Adams didn't.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Which is true, in base 13.

Nobody writes jokes in base 13.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Thought you weren't going to do this intellectual stuff?
    Basic primary school maths, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    In hexadecimal A + B = 15.....
    yes, but I deliberately mixed the two systems up, just as I did for the Roman numerals.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    There’s no point in having that number without knowing how you got it.

Having brought Millie in from a muddy walk earlier, I gave her a shower. As I towelled her off, I was thinking to myself: What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

...and that’s how you get 42.
    Number of pubs you have been banned from?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Thought you weren't going to do this intellectual stuff?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Having brought Millie in from a muddy walk earlier, I gave her a shower. As I towelled her off, I was thinking to myself: How the hell am I not the sex offenders register yet?
    You sort of asked for that...

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post

aye, - right

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

and don't forget hexadecimal where A + B = 21

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    how many roads must a mouse travel?
    F11C

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    nah, that's 25 or 6 to 4

how many roads must a mouse travel?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Having brought Millie in from a muddy walk earlier, I gave her a shower. As I towelled her off, I was thinking to myself: What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

nah, that's 25 or 6 to 4

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    For a start, even if it is a tautology, it in no way invalidates the contention that for a given x, 1+1=x has an infinitesimal probability of being true.

But it isn't a tautology. It's a proposition.

Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell spent a couple of hundred pages proving it in Principia Arithmetica. The Peano arithmetic proof of 1+1=2 arises from these axioms:

0 is a natural number.
    The next four axioms describe the equality relation. Since they are logically valid in first-order logic with equality, they are not considered to be part of "the Peano axioms" in modern treatments.[5]
    • For every natural number x, x = x. That is, equality is reflexive.
    • For all natural numbers x and y, if x = y, then y = x. That is, equality is symmetric.
    • For all natural numbers x, y and z, if x = y and y = z, then x = z. That is, equality is transitive.
    • For all a and b, if b is a natural number and a = b, then a is also a natural number. That is, the natural numbers are closed under equality.
    • For every natural number n, S(n) is a natural number.
    • For all natural numbers m and n, m = n if and only if S(m) = S(n). That is, S is an injection.
    • For every natural number n, S(n) = 0 is false. That is, there is no natural number whose successor is 0.

Note: 1+1=2 is not an axiom. But it is provably true from these axioms. Of course, if you choose to define 2 as 1+1, then 1+1=2 is a tautology. But mathematicians don't define numbers like that.

It is a logical fallacy to say that because the probability of a proposition being true is infinitesimal, then the proposition isn't true.

Another interesting problem, discussed by minds greater than ours over the centuries. More interesting are these 2 questions.

1. Why God (if existing) allows purposeless (non teleological) evil to exist?
    2. Where does the notion of evil arise?

I got a 1st on my essay regarding the 1st in Philosophy at university. Though my main subject was maths. If you like we could argue about the number of angels who'll fit on the head of a pin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X