• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is this the end?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this the end?"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You can take the boy out of Lympstone..............

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    So close to the end of the year and only two nominations for 2019? Sad times

EDIT: Ah...they'll all awaiting final assessment. That's ok then

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    It's like shooting a building with a gun, voltage is how piercing it is, amps is how much damage it does if it gets inside

Without enough voltage the amps can't get in so no damage

Another example, hold multimeter probes in each hand, measures 0 (or almost 0), current through the body

Stab the probes into each of your thumbs however, and you will die instantly because blood conducts electricity rather nicely

1999 Darwin Award: Resistance is Futile

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I must be honest, in all seriousness it's rather puzzling how these jump starters with such large amperages aren't hideously dangerous.

I'd have thought that even 1000 Amps, let alone 10000 Amps, at 12 Volts across one's torso would be enough to instantly kill someone, and even fry them.

And it can't be that the current flows for only a nanosecond or something, because presumably the current must last a fair time to turn over a large vehicle engine.
    The human body has a very high resistance. No matter what the amperage capability of a power supply, 12v will never cause a dangerous electric shock. Try touching both terminals of a car battery (or a jump starter) and you'll be hard pressed to feel anything.

Mains 240v is dangerous because, at this voltage, a few mA (milliamps) will pass through the body.

It is true that current (i) is what kills, and you don't need much current at all, but you need a high voltage (v) to overcome the body's resistance (r).

i = v ÷ r

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I must be honest, in all seriousness it's rather puzzling how these jump starters with such large amperages aren't hideously dangerous.

I'd have thought that even 1000 Amps, let alone 10000 Amps, at 12 Volts across one's torso would be enough to instantly kill someone, and even fry them.

And it can't be that the current flows for only a nanosecond or something, because presumably the current must last a fair time to turn over a large vehicle engine.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    1000 Amps? Pah - You could barely jump start an obstinate donkey with that! 20,000 Amps is more like it.

NOCO Boost Max GB500 20000 Amp 12V/24V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter for Petrol and Diesel Engines and Class 8+ / CE Vehicles

That couldn't jump start a squirrel.

Get something with a bit of kick

Miller's have a good deal on them.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    1000 Amps? Pah - You could barely jump start an obstinate donkey with that! 20,000 Amps is more like it.

NOCO Boost Max GB500 20000 Amp 12V/24V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter for Petrol and Diesel Engines and Class 8+ / CE Vehicles

when we have this type of battery technology, I really wonder why electric car battery technology relies on an array of AA batteries.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    That looks like it might cause some damage to your testicles - if you were that way inclined...
    You can take the boy out of Lympstone..............

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And all the posts have been way more interesting than the nonsense you post.
    Well yes, goes without saying that....

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

£2,396.27

You could buy a spare car for that price.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

That looks like it might cause some damage to your testicles - if you were that way inclined...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My new jump starter worked a treat - I got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QLGRLD9/

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    All this jibber jabber for "my car battery is flat"
    And all the posts have been way more interesting than the nonsense you post.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    You may have to resort to singing to while away those long journeys now. Don't worry if you can't sing, it never stopped Mrs M...
    The fault has been fixed (I hope!). No need for me to frighten anyone just yet.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Verdict is in! The car still lives, holy water not required.

It was the stereo apparently.
    You may have to resort to singing to while away those long journeys now. Don't worry if you can't sing, it never stopped Mrs M...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X