• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wife received email for me - how?"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    This.

When you visit a website, the website often saves its own cookies to the local cache. But it also often saves what are called "third party cookies" - that can be read by other websites.
    This means that you and the wife could each log onto different websites on the same machine (say you gmail, and her facebook), and third party tracking cookies left by each can be read by the other. This enables accounts, and therefore people, to become linkable across websites.

It is typically done for advertising- an example being where you might search Google for "fishing rods", for example. This information is useful to advertisers because they can then target adverts to you even on different websites, each of which has a vested interest in trying to get your money.

The remedy, if you want to prevent this, is to configure the browser to refuse websites permission to save third party cookies (i.e. only save normal "first party" cookies defined by that site.

A second thing you can do is, to enable something called "First Party Isolation", which does a similar thing.

What Is First-Party Isolation and How to Enable It in Firefox - Make Tech Easier

Is there a browser (such as that new Brave one) that has these settings on by default?

I think I've read that some browser plug-ins allow a default 'accept' but is there one that does a default 'decline'?

I hate those sites that have a pop-up demanding you click 'accept' to allow hell's spawn onto your device, or a convoluted 'decline' process where you have to deselect dozens of options for third parties that are part of that hell spawn. I only want to read one soddin article not set up a profile on each bloody website.

About time someone kicked the tulip out of this for the sake of user experience and delivered on the promise of an alternative to advertisement income for websites. Facebook, Google, and all the other data sucking scum are leading us to a place where a revolution will be required.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Likely a tracking cookie from Travelodge picked up by TripAdvisor who then sent the email based on local settings.
    This.

When you visit a website, the website often saves its own cookies to the local cache. But it also often saves what are called "third party cookies" - that can be read by other websites.
    This means that you and the wife could each log onto different websites on the same machine (say you gmail, and her facebook), and third party tracking cookies left by each can be read by the other. This enables accounts, and therefore people, to become linkable across websites.

It is typically done for advertising- an example being where you might search Google for "fishing rods", for example. This information is useful to advertisers because they can then target adverts to you even on different websites, each of which has a vested interest in trying to get your money.

The remedy, if you want to prevent this, is to configure the browser to refuse websites permission to save third party cookies (i.e. only save normal "first party" cookies defined by that site.

A second thing you can do is, to enable something called "First Party Isolation", which does a similar thing.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/first...ation-firefox/

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Dare I look that up on urban dictionary?
    If you do, make sure it’s not on a computer that is used by your wife or her lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    A gentleman brings his lover to a Premier Inn.
    Dare I look that up on urban dictionary?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    RELAIS & CHÂTEAUX ftw.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Your wife found out about your lover in the travel lodge and using this as a warning shot across your bows

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    it's like receiving adds on your mobile or computer browser when your wife looked at some on line shops. I happens when you share a modem
    I must remember that excuse.

Browser says I was looking for ladies underwear because....because...because my wife was looking. Yeah. Definetly right.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    it's like receiving adds on your mobile or computer browser when your wife looked at some on line shops. I happens when you share a modem

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    When weird tulip like this happens I think a GDPR Subject Access Request is in order.

You or your wife could craft one (in her name) and send it to Travellodge asking for all data held on your wife. Explain what has happened and tell them you want to find out how and stop it happening again.

They can't ignore it and will have to comply
    THIS ^^^^^
    except do two DSARs, one for each of you.
    Or 4 and include Tripadvisor.
    They have 30 days to respond.

Please report back the findings.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    are you a member of the loyalty club for the restaurant next to the hotel? not travelodge in my case, but some hotels link my wife with me via the adjoining restaurant loyalty scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    on the computer at home.
    Likely a tracking cookie from Travelodge picked up by TripAdvisor who then sent the email based on local settings.

Hence why there's the annoying cookie consent pop-up bollox on websites that are looking to make money on tracking activity to sell on to others.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Do either of you have a social media account e.g. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram?
    Do either of you ever search on TripAdvisor?
    Did either of you search for the Travelodge on a computer where she may have been signed in to a social media account?

There’s many different possibilities that don’t revolve around marital shenanigans.
    She uses FB, I don't anymore (although I did)
    I use Twitter, she doesn't
    She uses Instagram, I never have.

She has an iPhone. I have an Android phone.

I don't use the Travelodge app because it's pants. So I just log in through the chrome browser on my Android.
    We sometimes search for reviews on TripAdvisor if we're going on holiday or to a hotel/ restaurant, but not often and neither of us have an account with and have never booked anything through them. That could conceivably have happened whilst simultaneously logged into her or my email accounts on the computer at home.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ...I am still confused as to why I get divorced so often.....
    Is it cause your wives can only stay drunk for so long, or that you sometimes take the paper bag off your head?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If a married couple are having sex, its probably not with each other.

I am still confused as to why I get divorced so often.....
    We're not, we've met you

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    There’s many different possibilities that don’t revolve around marital shenanigans.
    If a married couple are having sex, its probably not with each other.

I am still confused as to why I get divorced so often.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X