• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it cuz i ain't black enough?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No I wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Supply chains are too complex. Even Fairphone can't guarantee their rare earth mineral are 'ethically' sourced. You can only do your best in a complicated imperfect world.

You would be surprised what you can achieve if you try

Foxconn Is Under Scrutiny for Worker Conditions. It’s Not the First Time. - The New York Times

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I think there is a place for both.

can we say - We will trade with you if you don't use child/slave labour and your production is green.
    Supply chains are too complex. Even Fairphone can't guarantee their rare earth mineral are 'ethically' sourced. You can only do your best in a complicated imperfect world.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    But would not trading with such countries actually help these people or make poverty worse?

I think there is a place for both.

can we say - We will trade with you if you don't use child/slave labour and your production is green.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    But would not trading with such countries actually help these people or make poverty worse?
    Society very rarely lifts people up, it has a tendency to level the field by bringing others down.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I wasn't aware of that , it does seem time that consumers and businesses start to specify that the supply chain must be 'clean' otherwise they lose business like Foxconn are being punished for child labour etc. At a country level our politicians should work on this and say they are less likely to deal with countries who allow slavery. Yes I know its present in the Uk but its illegal and comparatively rare.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    It's about time those Indians you're so fond of abolished slavery, don't you think? Maybe India should free its ~18.3 million slaves(2016 figures).

Zig - In "Purveyor of inconvenient facts" mode!
    Cheers for sharing, that is sobering. I am a fan of India because they have repeatedly proven a valuable ally whose population here mostly respect our society.

Bonded labourers, sex workers, forced beggars: India leads world in slavery | india | Hindustan Times

I wasn't aware of that , it does seem time that consumers and businesses start to specify that the supply chain must be 'clean' otherwise they lose business like Foxconn are being punished for child labour etc. At a country level our politicians should work on this and say they are less likely to deal with countries who allow slavery. Yes I know its present in the Uk but its illegal and comparatively rare.

Maps | Global Slavery Index

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Indeed. Spuddy tempers his imbecility with a soupcon of humour. Ziggy is simply an angry dimwit.
    Spuddy is a well loved regular in the Barnstaple 'Spoons. At Ziggy's local, the staff know him as "I'm not gay", because that's what he mutters under his breath before ordering, "a pint of wife beater".

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I miss Spuddy's posts. Ziggy unfortunately is a very poor substitute.
    Indeed. Spuddy tempers his imbecility with a soupcon of humour. Ziggy is simply an angry dimwit.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Spuddy is the best.
    I miss Spuddy's posts. Ziggy unfortunately is a very poor substitute.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    And out it comes, from underneath its rock, looking timidly from left to right, ensuring it isn't observed and then BAM! Posts its same old tulipe.
    Too easy!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Must be quite hard to live with yourself.
    Triggered again, your short fuse is surpassed only by your low IQ.
    And out it comes, from underneath its rock, looking timidly from left to right, ensuring it isn't observed and then BAM! Posts its same old tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Perhaps it's because I don't suffer 's and you mate are a .
    Must be quite hard to live with yourself.
    Triggered again, your short fuse is surpassed only by your low IQ.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Indeed

I was just perturbed that when other minorities quite reasonably said "how about telling our stories" (there are some real stories of valour from the Indian and other regiments in WW1) those of African descent seemed to get upset.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...INT_UPDATE.pdf

plenty more inspiring tales from other conflicts

Victoria Cross - Wikipedia

When I find someone who has achieved equally or more I am honoured to share the spotlight with them not jealous.

You saddos may try to mock but they don'y give out awards for finding your arse when looking for your elbow. Not that there is any chance of you managing that.
    It's about time those Indians you're so fond of abolished slavery, don't you think? Maybe India should free its ~18.3 million slaves(2016 figures).

Zig - In "Purveyor of inconvenient facts" mode!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Indeed

I was just perturbed that when other minorities quite reasonably said "how about telling our stories" (there are some real stories of valour from the Indian and other regiments in WW1) those of African descent seemed to get upset.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...INT_UPDATE.pdf

plenty more inspiring tales from other conflicts

Victoria Cross - Wikipedia

When I find someone who has achieved equally or more I am honoured to share the spotlight with them not jealous.

You saddos may try to mock but they don'y give out awards for finding your arse when looking for your elbow. Not that there is any chance of you managing that.
    Don't be perturbed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X