• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car backfiring ????"

Collapse

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have heard before that is diesel in a petrol car. Petrol in a diesel car will just kill it.

And I heard a motorbike backfire today. Or maybe it was just WTFH taking shots at me while cycling.....
    what seems to be prevalent these days is the "chipping" of vehicles to way outside of their normal power band and variation of valve timing by fitting higher performance cams, which results in road-going vehicles being tuned to racing standards and behaving so, where slow running characteristics are not important. This is also an area where backfiring occurs because of the excessive overlap of the valves.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

What’s more common ? Is it a real thing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    All the chavs round here drive cars like this.

Can't remember the last time I heard a car in Swindon that didn't sound like Jihadi John with an AK...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    A petrol car will backfire repeatedly like a Laurel and Hardy car if one accidently puts diesel in it! (Or maybe it's the other way round? )
    I have heard before that is diesel in a petrol car. Petrol in a diesel car will just kill it.

And I heard a motorbike backfire today. Or maybe it was just WTFH taking shots at me while cycling.....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

A petrol car will backfire repeatedly like a Laurel and Hardy car if one accidently puts diesel in it! (Or maybe it's the other way round? )

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Like this?

Cops Mistake Launch Control for Machine Gun Fire - The Drive

or bikes doing it

There Was No Gunfire in Times Square. But the Panic Was Still Real. - The New York Times

Just modern times innit
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 September 2019, 17:00.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    If I lived in SE London, and I heard a car back-firing, I'd assume it was a gunshot...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

From a story today

Depends on what kind of wankanator the car is using and if the pistols are firing on all cylinders.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    I use the kill switch on my bike to scare cyclists and horses.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I use the kill switch on my bike to scare cyclists and horses.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Other than with those irritating oiks with their 4" diameter exhausts and noisy motor carriages.

I'd shoot the lot.

Then they'd really know what gunshots sounded like.

<DoctorStrangelove in "Go Ahead, make my day" mode>

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied

From a story today

Older cars with points and condensers tended to backfire if the ignition timing was incorrect. It could also happen, as it did to my car once, if the condenser failed whilst travelling along. With the advent of electronic ignition and less opportunity for amateurs to alter anything, there is probably now less instances of it.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

From a story today

Cars don't backfire very often due to fuel injection. That makes the mixture more correct and more likely to all burn.
    Backfiring is when unburnt fuel in the exhaust is ignited by burning fuel comiung out of the exhaust vavle.

It is possible to simulate. When driving at a cruuising speed, turn the ignition off for a few seconds then back on. *BANG*
    This probably won't work on modern cars though, and if it does work it has a habit of splitting the silencer box along the seam. Is also more dangerous to simulate in modern cars (power steering, brake servos, other electronic gubbins).

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It's possible to fit a system to your exhaust which injects fuel onto the hot exhaust which will give you the sound of a backfire....

if you want to do that I suppose.

having said that I live near the country and can often hear clay pigeon shoots going on.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    started a topic Car backfiring ????

Car backfiring ????

From a story today

Working...
X