• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to re-introduce national service?"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Isn't this a job for the parents?
    Or "parent"?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Huge portion of the adults are in debt, I doubt they will be a good role model/teachers to their offspring when it comes to budgeting, who need budgeting when there are credit cards...
    Credit cards are great tools for budgeting. You can see exactly what's spent on what. Also, like when I was a poor permie and interest rates were high, they're handy for an interest-free rolling overdraft.

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Good one.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Young people 'need help with independence' - BBC News

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Certainly one life skill to be taught about in school is debt.

Except for a mortgage, "never never" get into debt. Spend less than you earn.

Takes 30 seconds. Leaves plenty of time for how to calculate area of a circle.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Huge portion of the adults are in debt, I doubt they will be a good role model/teachers to their offspring when it comes to budgeting, who need budgeting when there are credit cards...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing ...
    I read that at first glance as "shaving" - perhaps in an attempt to prevent them becoming hipsters.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.
    Where I live, kids in the second and third tiers of mainstream education are taught how to do their tax returns. Kids in the top tier - destined for university - don't. I guess the idea is that they'll be able to afford to pay someone else to do it.

I'm pretty sure that budgeting was part of Domestic Science when I was at school.

Leave a comment:

• MasterBait
    replied
    Farage-Jugend

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

Education Secretary Damian Hinds was launching a project teaching teenagers "life skills", such as budgeting, sharing a house or coping with relationship problems.

FFS
    Why “FFS”? Kids should be taught this in schools, instead of (or in addition to) being taught how to calculate the area of a circle.

I know which one is more useful in everyday life....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    One only has to look around to see parents don't know much about budgeting or healthy relationships. The state shouldn't be teaching the latter but budgeting is just an application of basic arithmetic so seems a no-brainer to teach it.

As for nation service... you get told what to do and all your food and lodging is provided. I thought squaddies often found themselves bewildered when they left this lifestyle and had to figure out how to look after themselves? Isn't it genuinely a common problem for those leaving the forces?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    I'm too old for National Service, so yes, definitely bring it back...

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    I taught 16-19 YO in an iTec for a couple of years. We had to have 1 session per week on 'Social skills'. We rotated who presented them and we had a book of 'suggestions'. I never once used any of the examples in the boot as they were all to 'rose tinted specs'. One memorable session I picked a local issue (the plans to build a low security prison near Guildford) which had polarised the locals. Two sides had to argue their case. Those that were forced to be 'pro' were by far the most imaginative as they had no source material to work from, the 'cons' just used the local rag. Out come was that it should be built.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.
    It might teach them to be grateful to be out of it?

I thought parents were supposed to breed independants not dependants?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

FFS
    Two years in Aldershot being shouted at by Shauny to peel spuds like a soldier is unlikely to foster a sense of independence.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Maybe ..

Just fooking maybe

It could be included as part of the national curriculum - you know so that place where our kids go to learn all sorts of useful tulip actually includes some real life useful tulip.

Also where the fook are the parents at?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Time to re-introduce national service?

Time to re-introduce national service?

FFS

Working...
X