• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""educational course" or 3 points + fine"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Admiral insurance, for one, ask if you've attended the course. Not sure the legalities of this.
    They can ask but there is no proof you have been on one. This was found out as some people have managed to do a couple in 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

It was a full day and included going out and doing some actual driving with an instructor. Was a bit of a PITA, but worth it financially. Really, it's the kind of thing everyone should do to keep a licence. It's a bit ridiculous that you pass your test and don't every have to do anything again, despite the highway code and best driving practices being updated all the time.

If you do a RoSPA Advanced Driver/Rider course/test it is only valid for 3 years (if you get Gold or Silver, Bronze is only valid for a year) so if you want to maintain the qualification and keep your insurance premiums down you have to keep taking a retest.

RoSPA Bike test is far more extensive than the ADM test ( which like your licence is valid forever once you pass. The RoSPA Bike test you are expected ( at Gold) to have achieved the standard required of a Police Motorcyclist - the handbook for the test is the Police Motorcyclist Handbook, and the examiner is either a Police Motorcyclist or possibly the local forces own motorcycle instructor. I think it is the similar for the RoSPA car test.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Are you now sure about the legalities of claiming job seekers allowance?

100% sure :-)

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Get a quote from a price comparison site for both with and without the points. For me, the insurance for 1 year was more than the fine, so I did the course.

I dinged my car and was offered a course instead of getting a CD1 - driving wihtout due care and attention. The affect on my insurance was massive. Cheapest quote was about 2.5x more than last year and that was with a very high compulsory excess.

It was a full day and included going out and doing some actual driving with an instructor. Was a bit of a PITA, but worth it financially. Really, it's the kind of thing everyone should do to keep a licence. It's a bit ridiculous that you pass your test and don't every have to do anything again, despite the highway code and best driving practices being updated all the time.

Admiral insurance, for one, ask if you've attended the course. Not sure the legalities of this.
    If they ask you, it's fraud to give an incorrect answer. But there is no way they can tell currently if you have or not so the chances of them knowing this are slim to none.

You could also refuse to answer the question, don't proceed with the quote and take your business elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Why?
    half a day of my life is why.

I've done the course twice. And had many points over the years.
    If on no points I take the points.
    If on 3 points I do the course.
    If on 6 points I slow down as that's only one offence away from a totting ban.
    Never been on 9 points.
    Been on 12 points and that really slowed me down. Being on 12 points was the only time my insurance increased noticeably.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you now sure about the legalities of claiming job seekers allowance?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    Take the course.
    I did it about 3 months ago. Boring but I did actually learn something.

Also I was told in the course you DONT have to inform your insurance company about taking the course.

A quick google also confirms this.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    by far less than either the fine, or half a day's lost work
    Did my course on a sunday morning....

Is not the most fun you can have I will say. The people who run it are decent enough but the worse thing is the other people. Theres always one who thinks its his right to have a bit of a moan.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 18 March 2019, 09:43.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    if your license is clean then take the 3 points
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Take the course.
    I did it about 3 months ago. Boring but I did actually learn something.

Also I was told in the course you DONT have to inform your insurance company about taking the course.

A quick google also confirms this.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    The one and only speed awareness course I did was taken by my RoSPA Advanced Motorcycling Examiner (5 days after he awarded me a RoSPA Gold) and he was the Essex Police Motorcycle Instructor. A wee bit embarrassing having been out on the road with him the last week and on the ride home following the test (me following him this time) his instructions to me were, any numerical speed limit sign we obey without question, nation speed limit signs - keep it safe. Good spirited ride home that was.

Afterwards you get a written report identifying areas for improvement. MY first one (retest every 3 years), written by the same examiner, states. "...should try to ride faster." I kept that report to use in my defence should I every need it.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    You may aswell do the course - as above, while 3 points alone is fairly minor you've already been caught once so why even let them start?

I will say, though, I went in with a relatively open mind but even so it was ******* dull. If you've taken a serious interest in driving, or done any advanced courses etc you're unlikely to learn huge amounts. I'm not saying I didn't learn anything, but half a days pay plus the fee plus that time out of my life wasn't really worth it for what I did! That said, the amount of people on the course who really didn't understand things like National Speed Limit was a bit scary, so in that sense I'm all for them.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    I presume OP has ruled out the Belmarsh option? (saying Vladamir was driving, getting rumbled by the old bill, followed by a Perverting the course of justice conviction a la MP style).

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Mrs V has had a few much to her discomfort at my hands
    But what about her driving record?

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    In the course you may learn something so it doesn’t happen again?

Also get some kind of camera warnings setup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X