• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dental Implant Issue"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    That's what is good about CUK. There is always someone who has something positive to say about anything.

Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    If you'd ever seen the state he was in, it would be difficult to detect the silver lining.

It looked like 100% cloud to me.

But hey! what the **** do I know?

Maybe ending up half blind and crippled in a wheelchair was his life's dream.
    Anything to say? Sorry, I misspoke would be a good start.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    That's what is good about CUK. There is always someone who has something positive to say about anything.

If you'd ever seen the state he was in, it would be difficult to detect the silver lining.

It looked like 100% cloud to me.

But hey! what the **** do I know?

Maybe ending up half blind and crippled in a wheelchair was his life's dream.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Until they sort out regrowing of original teeth from stem cells or some such whizzo approach, implants are the best way of replacing bad/lost teeth if the circumstances fit.

I had a partial denture for ages while my failed crown root extract healed (and deciding whether to have an implant or bridgework) and would not go back to that. I'd rather move to a part of the country where missing teeth is the norm, though I have no other motivation to ever move back up north.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Chap I knew had a dental implant.

It gave him septicaemia.

It took a mere 10 years to kill him very slowly.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Chap I knew had a dental implant.

It gave him septicaemia.

It took a mere 10 years to kill him very slowly.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    so will definitely be taking out the insurance at a premium of £85 pa per implant.
    Good idea....

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    I'm having upper left and right molars done locally and it ain't cheap.

The guy I'm seeing has the best reputation in the area but I noticed in his bumph he claims a success rate of only 90% so will definitely be taking out the insurance at a premium of £85 pa per implant.

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    I used those little brushes as well, went dentist every 6 months, hygienist etc thought I was doing it all right. In my case the infection was just not visible on a normal xray they do against the cheek, so I don't really blame my original dentist though may be they should be more aware it can start from the underside and for that to be checked every few years, I relied on him for advice. What did annoy me was the 3D xray I spotted it in had been seen by 2 practices and neither of them spotted it, I got the image on a memory stick and it comes with an application so you can move around the image see it from different angles, it was only when I did this and looked at it from another angle the problem was obvious. What I found were dentist were more keen on just trying things than trying to find the actual problem, up to this point I've had 2 fillings done and crown prep on another tooth to rule them out as causes, all this work wasn't strictly necessary on these teeth but they wanted to rule things out. On Thursday this week I am having the tooth extracted in front of the implant as well because the bone lose is so bad that tooth is now mobile and leaving it in will cause issues with healing once implant is out.

I'm seeing a facial / maxi surgeon today under my private health care, I'm hoping she will deem the removal of the implant as 'medically necessary' due to the damage its already done and will do if left, if she does I can then get it taken out under my health insurance. I would rather be knocked out for it, I probably shouldn't of youtube-d the procedure tbh lol I don't want to be awake for it.
    Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 26 March 2019, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Cool story bro.
    Just a bit of advice for preventing gum disease. What's made you so this morning?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My dentist (Polish), advised interstitial brushes, rather than floss. At my next checkup, my gums had gone from being a bit dodgy to excellent health.
    Cool story bro.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This. 90% of all my dental issues are sorted by my hygienist. Gum health is just as if not more important the tooth health s far as they're concerned. Don't know when English dentists don't take gum health seriously.

Trying flossing the affected area for a week or two, the blood might be trying to push out some infection.
    My dentist (Polish), advised interstitial brushes, rather than floss. At my next checkup, my gums had gone from being a bit dodgy to excellent health.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If not go and see an Oral Surgeon, not a Dentist. They're experts. If it carries on sounds like you need the implant to be replaced.

This. 90% of all my dental issues are sorted by my hygienist. Gum health is just as if not more important the tooth health s far as they're concerned. Don't know when English dentists don't take gum health seriously.

Trying flossing the affected area for a week or two, the blood might be trying to push out some infection.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Glad you've managed to sort it. If several dentists missed it, that is because it's unusual. Sometimes the expert is the patient

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
    An update as I thought it would be useful for anyone else who has an implant as its evident from my experience dentists in UK are not up to speed with it. I did turn out I had peri implantitis which basically is germs living in the thread of the implant that slowly eats the jaw bone away.

In my case I knew I had to look after my implant I cleaned it daily, had 6 monthly dentist appointments and xrays and it looked fine. HOWEVER the x-rays were only on the external side of the tooth and in that it appeared fine, in the end I got an image / x-ray done that was in the mouth itself so looking at the jaw bone inside and bam there it was chronic boss loss and it was impacting the tooth in front of it. It was well established so much so the only option I have to actually save that part of my jaw is to have the implant removed and jaw rebuilt with grafts.

At least I know what it is now, but what I have learnt from this is dentists and even the 3 implant people I went to see are not fully up to speed with it though they claim they are. It was only on my insistence I got the xray done in the mouth from the different angle if that hadn't been done it wouldn't of been found.

If you have an implant make sure you get it xrays from the inside as well and the outside face of it, if my loss on the inside face had been spotted earlier treatment would of been a lot easier. Now I'm going to have to the implant removed by being cut out and jaw rebuilt with grafts.
    Now we know why you're called Boggy...

Really sorry to hear your news. Glad for you that you persevered and found the issue. And are making it public. Maybe you could contact MD at Private Eye?

Leave a comment:

• Amy Shrotersfield
    replied
    Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
    An update as I thought it would be useful for anyone else who has an implant as its evident from my experience dentists in UK are not up to speed with it. I did turn out I had peri implantitis which basically is germs living in the thread of the implant that slowly eats the jaw bone away.

In my case I knew I had to look after my implant I cleaned it daily, had 6 monthly dentist appointments and xrays and it looked fine. HOWEVER the x-rays were only on the external side of the tooth and in that it appeared fine, in the end I got an image / x-ray done that was in the mouth itself so looking at the jaw bone inside and bam there it was chronic boss loss and it was impacting the tooth in front of it. It was well established so much so the only option I have to actually save that part of my jaw is to have the implant removed and jaw rebuilt with grafts.

At least I know what it is now, but what I have learnt from this is dentists and even the 3 implant people I went to see are not fully up to speed with it though they claim they are. It was only on my insistence I got the xray done in the mouth from the different angle if that hadn't been done it wouldn't of been found.

If you have an implant make sure you get it xrays from the inside as well and the outside face of it, if my loss on the inside face had been spotted earlier treatment would of been a lot easier. Now I'm going to have to the implant removed by being cut out and jaw rebuilt with grafts.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal - I know there is insurance to cover implants going wrong and reading this I'd be mindful to get cover if I were to get one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X