• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I read in the Daily Mail..."

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Conspiracy, conspiracy everywhere. Do you look under your bed each night before getting into it? Strange that News Guard thinks Fox News is okay though. You might want to have a look who works there and who their advisory board is before spouting off
    It is not conspiracy really.

It is very difficult today to get the facts on anything

even a live report will only tell you some facts

and by the time it hits the papers it has gone from fact to someone's opinion of the fact

News Guard is just another filter someone is putting on the already very filtered 'news'

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I didn't used to find the gammon thing annoying until you started using it in every sentence.
    Glad to be of service.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There is a degree of false equivalence. The Mail is shocking on 'sciencey' stuff, vaccines being an example. This is why they should be called out, although the Edge business is odd unless it is aimed at winding up the gammonocracy.
    I didn't used to find the gammon thing annoying until you started using it in every sentence.

The Guardian distorts fact and is quite insidious. The recent business with Jordan Peterson is a prime example of shutting down views and opinions that you don't agree with and presenting opinion as facts.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And of course those running the News Guard app do not have an agenda oh no siree they will be completely unbiased.

Except they cannot be because that would not make them any money and so they will have a backer whose views will be represented in the what their app tells you about a certain site.

whatever you are still getting your news through someone else's filter.
    Conspiracy, conspiracy everywhere. Do you look under your bed each night before getting into it? Strange that News Guard thinks Fox News is okay though. You might want to have a look who works there and who their advisory board is before spouting off

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I read the Guardian, FT, Telegraph and a variety of Irish newspapers.
    Yes, I have no doubt that you do.

That is doubtless what makes you so "interesting".

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Well the DM has shot itself in the foot, I think its fine to be outspoken and go against the grain but it should be factual.

Saying that the Guardian is just as bad its just better at delivering opinion based articles as fact.

The Independent is the worst though, just awful.
    The Guardian is good at delivering opinion based articles as fact.

Sadly its articles in the opinion section are awful. As awful as the Fail's.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Well the DM has shot itself in the foot, I think its fine to be outspoken and go against the grain but it should be factual.

Saying that the Guardian is just as bad its just better at delivering opinion based articles as fact.

There is a degree of false equivalence. The Mail is shocking on 'sciencey' stuff, vaccines being an example. This is why they should be called out, although the Edge business is odd unless it is aimed at winding up the gammonocracy.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And of course those running the News Guard app do not have an agenda oh no siree they will be completely unbiased.

Except they cannot be because that would not make them any money and so they will have a backer whose views will be represented in the what their app tells you about a certain site.

Every news outlet has an agenda. They don't all routinely publish tulipe about vaccines.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The Mail has a special place in the pantheon of tulipe newspapers largely because of its dire science and particularly health science reporting.

This stuff matters.

Why can't the Daily Mail eat humble pie over MMR? | The BMJ
    Last edited by Old Greg; 24 January 2019, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    All reporting is coloured by the views and approach of the reporter and editor so there's no such thing as unbiased reporting. That's why splash warnings of dire content are wrong as they themselves are biased opinions and probably intended to influence readers opinion. I scan every source from the BBC to Sputnik just to get an idea of the real stories and situations. The mail and express have their place in that process but I don't believe anything any of them say fully

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Certainly no way that the facts regarding upheld complaints fits the description "generally fails to maintain basic standards"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    seems rather telling

Press watchdog received a record-breaking amount of complaints and enquiries in 2017

2017 saw a large number of ‘multiple’ complaints, where more than one similar complaint was made about the same article, which has contributed to the high number of complaints received. Unsurprisingly, newspapers with the largest circulations received the highest number of complaints with The Sun topping the list of most complaints received with 4,847 complaints, followed by the Daily Mail (4,176), Mail Online (3,536), Metro (1,500) and The Mail on Sunday (1,452). In 2017 The Sun’s publisher News UK had 12 complaints upheld and 30 not upheld. Associated (Daily Mail, Mail Online, Mail on Sunday, Metro) had 10 complaints upheld and 24 complaints not upheld.
    as usual the statistics don't agree with the snowflakes. If only the granuaid sold more than three copies!

sorry are facts getting in the way of your prejudice?

News UK tops list of complaints upheld in 2015 by Ipso | Media | The Guardian

What’s that I hear? Associated, publisher of the Mail titles? Wrong. And wrong by a substantial margin.
    In fact,according to Ipso’s annual report for 2015, the worst offender was News UK, publisher of the Sun, Times and Sunday Times. It was responsible for the press regulator upholding 11 complaints in the course of last year.
    In the unlikely event you want facts try the regulator

Rulings and resolution statements

as usual its bollocks from the usual deluded suspects.

2017 saw a large number of ‘multiple’ complaints, where more than one similar complaint was made about the same article, which has contributed to the high number of complaints received. Unsurprisingly, newspapers with the largest circulations received the highest number of complaints with The Sun topping the list of most complaints received with 4,847 complaints, followed by the Daily Mail (4,176), Mail Online (3,536), Metro (1,500) and The Mail on Sunday (1,452). In 2017 The Sun’s publisher News UK had 12 complaints upheld and 30 not upheld. Associated (Daily Mail, Mail Online, Mail on Sunday, Metro) had 10 complaints upheld and 24 complaints not upheld.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm of the opinion that they're all as bad as each other. I had a view stated in the times that I simply didn't support. The interviewer said it several times and I possibly didn't disagree strongly enough, but it certainly didn't represent my views. I was pretty upset at the time.
    I had a similar experience, many years ago. The interviewer is there to sell either his opinion or the editor's. You are just a prop in a tragic comedy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X