• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mumsnet type post #2 Corner desk for wife's home office"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Good, apart from it looks like half a door laying on top of some legs.
    yep, I agree, it needs to look the part. And that desk looks sturdy but its not pretty.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Too right.

Buy British: Steel Vintage | Industrial Furniture | Handmade in England

Vastly superior.
    Holy moly! I like!

No idea where I'd put any of it but bookmarked for future reference nonetheless

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    This is one I made from an oak door and some legs from THE IRON MILL

Took a couple of weekends to do, all that I used was a screwdriver, a circular saw, a sander and some sash clamps. Took the door apart to get rid of the gaps between the planks, then put it back together, sanded it down, cut it to the angle of the wall (about 75deg), then applied varnish. Attached the legs and put a cable tray hanging under the back. Total cost around £80.
    Good, apart from it looks like half a door laying on top of some legs.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    My wife works in an auctioneers. They get loads of old antique desks in that are 100 or 200 years old that go for virtually nothing before the dealers mark them up by 300%. If they will match your decor a local auction house might be worth a look for something different.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    thanks, I was going to spend a couple of years learning carpentry and then make a fantastic oak table.
    FFS, fell a large oak tree, open trusty penknife and whittle it down into a desk.

Yoof of today....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    This is one I made from an oak door and some legs from THE IRON MILL

Took a couple of weekends to do, all that I used was a screwdriver, a circular saw, a sander and some sash clamps. Took the door apart to get rid of the gaps between the planks, then put it back together, sanded it down, cut it to the angle of the wall (about 75deg), then applied varnish. Attached the legs and put a cable tray hanging under the back. Total cost around £80.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    This can be made to whatever size you need.

Merlot Bar - full micro pub - WJ Home Bars

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Or make your own, if the space is not a uniform rectangle.
    thanks, I was going to spend a couple of years learning carpentry and then make a fantastic oak table.
    Something like this should do in the meantime though....

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    These are nice: Corner Desk in Oak - the stylish desk - Dovetailors

They will also do bespoke if needed.
    Bladdy expensive for Oak veneer!

If it's only for the missus - £51.99 - cheap as chips

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    I have used Wayfair for an office desk, mines not a corner one, which seemed quite robust and is not your cheapy flatpack furniture.
    I did have a look at Wayfair but was a bit worried the quality would be similar to furniture village - they look similar. But thanks good to know they arent cheap flatpack.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Its a nice desk but it's expensive!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Too right.

Vastly superior.
    Wow, I think they are too manly for the misses and probably me. But they are bloody great.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    I need help from you lot again. FYI the shower is coming along nicely and should be ready next couple of days.

I've just returned a corner desk from Furniture Village, apart from being cheap on inspection it was damaged. It's from Germany and I keep saying this but their manufacturing is overrated.

Anyway, I'm after a quality corner desk, don't mind paying for quality but it's for the misses so don't want to go overboard. Anyone, had any good experiences of buying quality furniture/home office stuff and could recommend somewhere?
    Too right.

Vastly superior.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    You could try an office reclaim warehouse. Often very good quality exec desks in there. I have a nice Cherry one I paid peanuts for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X