• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Forum Fixes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forum Fixes"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I'm upset about all the poor innocent tokens that are expiring when my PC goes to sleep, it has to tell me when I switch to CUK when it comes back
    It's PC gone mad.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm upset about all the poor innocent tokens that are expiring when my PC goes to sleep, it has to tell me when I switch to CUK when it comes back

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Yeah, I think he meant that!
    wot? - this?

you sure?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    wot? - this?
    Yeah, I think he meant that!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Seems intermittent now.
    Still an issue if it is a new thread.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I know

But that's nowt to do with me; you'll have to take it up with admin.

And definitely don't do this:
    wot? - this?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    The Nazi smiley still isn't working.
    I know

But that's nowt to do with me; you'll have to take it up with admin.

And definitely don't do this:

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Admin and I have just sorted out the database stuff, so now both older and newer posts with characters like , , and should be displaying correctly
    The Nazi smiley still isn't working.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Good thing I haven't got your job, i'd make it so that posts by certain people are replaced entirely by characters like and .

On the emulator thing, it's a pain. Used to use Opera Mobile Emulator a lot but don't think it's been updated for a long time. No way of ensuring a page works on all devices without spending a lot of dosh.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    BTW, the forum has switched from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 character encoding which has left some weird characters in the database for things like smart quotes (“”) and £. I believe admin is hatching a plan to sort these out, but it at least means you’ll now be able to copy and paste from external sources without things like Å appearing for no reason, so it’ll be worth it in the long run
    Admin and I have just sorted out the database stuff, so now both older and newer posts with characters like , , and should be displaying correctly

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Turning off WYSIWYG mode works!
    Jolly good

On the emulator, it works in non-WYSIWYG mode even with WYSIWYG mode enabled. Not sure why that doesn’t happen on your real phone, but it just goes to show you can’t trust what you see on an emulator

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    [QUOTE=NickFitz;2619796]What exactly is the problem on the phone? Can you not type stuff or not post stuff once you

Turning off WYSIWYG mode works!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Did the forum used to prevent identical posts within a five minute period?
    Seems intermittent now.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Did the forum used to prevent identical posts within a five minute period?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Cannot type anything in the editor. Fail to get focus when I tap inside of it. Will try your tip and let you know.
    OK, I'll have to see if I can install Visual Studio on a free Windows VM intended for testing Internet Explorer, which I'm currently downloading to run under Parallels on my iMac; if so, I can presumably then install the Windows Phone emulator and see if I can work out what's going on

If none or only some of that works, I'll be a bit stuck, I'm afraid

EDITED to add: Can't replicate on IE Edge Desktop using its emulator mode pretending to be a Nokia Lumia 650; but I had a feeling that would happen. AFAIK a desktop browser emulating a mobile browser just tweaks a few bits so you can test CSS Media Queries and so on, which isn't the same thing at all. Visual Studio has almost finished installing…

EDITED to further add: Oh FFS, Parallels Normal Person Edition doesn't support virtualisation within VMs so the emulator won't run! Now importing the Parallels VM into VMWare Fusion to see if that will work…

EDITED to also add: Well, I'm doing this edit from the Windows Phone 10 (I think it is) emulator running in a virtual machine, and it's obviously letting me type OK. So I'm not sure what to do about it, other than try to find somebody with a real Windows Phone

EDIT yet again, though not in the emulator as it strains my eyes a bit viewing it on my widescreen monitor: I do see that the option to enable the WYSIWYG editor doesn't function. (I always use the non-WYSIWYG one.) So let me just enable that on my account, then try the emulator again… it appears to automatically disable the WYSIWYG editor. So you could try that in your account settings (near the bottom - select "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls") but then you'll be stuck with that everywhere. And it might not work anyway, as an emulator obviously isn't the same as the real thing…
    Last edited by NickFitz; 3 February 2019, 19:13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X