• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Go / no-go for permie..."

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by RobScott View Post
    If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?
    He milks Unicorns.

Leave a comment:

• RobScott
    replied
    What technology you work on please?

Originally posted by lionheart79 View Post
    That's the question I'm wrestling with.
    Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies, good food for thought.
    and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!
    If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
    I'd think not - take the permie money now, see what the market looks like after IR35 changes get rolled out everywhere (and avoid the rush to permie if everyone is making that move in 2020).

Looks a no brainer to me

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Depending on your age if it's a large company with opportunity to make MD in a few years I'd give it a go and see how you get on. If in a couple of years things aren't working out, you then have the option to either go back contracting or jump up the permie ladder somewhere else.

I've been contracting my whole life but if I'd have gone perm 20 years ago the truth is I'd have retired by now. I couldn't be doing with all the permie though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!
    You're still a cockwomble for posting it in General though

Leave a comment:

• lionheart79
    replied
    But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
    That's the question I'm wrestling with.
    Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    But is that argument still true when contracting as we know it, is likely to be different in April 2020. It may be better to go permie now rather than later especially if you already know the people you are working for...

As for my view point - it's up to you but it may be worth finding somewhere to sit for a year or 2 while the dust settles down...
    I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Do the same job for less - sounds like a winner to me

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Do the same job for less - sounds like a winner to me

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Standard answer ... but it's not just about the money. Politics, staff line management, appraisals, working extra hours for nothing, etc etc. If you're OK with this then no probs. But many of us contract to get away from the cr@p, and just want to get on with their job. Sometimes a perm (or an FTC) can be used as a stepping stone to get more training and/or experience to then take to other contracts but I think once you're happy and in the contractor mind set, why would you want to go back to perm? I don't know many contractors who have successfully gone back to per - most last 6 months then jump back into contracting.
    But is that argument still true when contracting as we know it, is likely to be different in April 2020. It may be better to go permie now rather than later especially if you already know the people you are working for...

As for my view point - it's up to you but it may be worth finding somewhere to sit for a year or 2 while the dust settles down...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Current client has offered me a role of £110k permie. As its a "Head of" role as opposed to my Ltd's various project work the past 2 years my accountant advised there should be no IR35 concerns. I'm on a very generous rate at the moment that £110k permie does not come anywhere close to. Realistically however I expect to drop to around £600-650 p/d for next contract. Add in pension of 10% and training commitments the package would be nearer £125k. Other usual benefits too but I don't tend to factor in.

We all know its not [just] about the money. For example, I love doing my own numbers and being outside of the politics, & being single I've no need for guaranteed salary. But thinking this may be worth a shot. I know the team and get on with them well. The organisation is chaos but where isn't! They're also willing to wait for me to take a couple months off to travel and recuperate, so I'd have the surety of income immediately post Brexit.

Do many folks on here yo-yo in and out of contract/permie during their time? What do you do with your warchest in the interim?
    Standard answer ... but it's not just about the money. Politics, staff line management, appraisals, working extra hours for nothing, etc etc. If you're OK with this then no probs. But many of us contract to get away from the cr@p, and just want to get on with their job. Sometimes a perm (or an FTC) can be used as a stepping stone to get more training and/or experience to then take to other contracts but I think once you're happy and in the contractor mind set, why would you want to go back to perm? I don't know many contractors who have successfully gone back to per - most last 6 months then jump back into contracting.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oops. You are right.
    You should have asked your accountant

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oops. You are right.
    Quoting for prosperity. LOLZ

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Think your timelines are wrong.
    Started on £550 in March 2016.
    Moved to £800 p/d in August 2016, been on that since.

Some people clearly value me...
    Oops. You are right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X