• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is wearing poppy direction control"

Collapse

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't really understand this. Doesn't matter where you buy it, it still a political aspect and you are wearing it in the office so a bit of a contradiction surely? I think you mean anything else that isn't as widely accepted? Like you massive I love Corbyn rosette at election time for example.
    My point is that the client brought the poppies into the company - I merely bought it from the seller from inside the company. So the poppy is in a sense client-endorsed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    My client is selling them in the canteen, so I am wearing one for the next 10 days.
    If they weren't selling them I wouldn't, as there is a political aspect to poppy wearing, and I don't think you should bring politics into the office.
    I don't really understand this. Doesn't matter where you buy it, it still a political aspect and you are wearing it in the office so a bit of a contradiction surely? I think you mean anything else that isn't as widely accepted? Like you massive I love Corbyn rosette at election time for example.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    My client is selling them in the canteen, so I am wearing one for the next 10 days.
    If they weren't selling them I wouldn't, as there is a political aspect to poppy wearing, and I don't think you should bring politics into the office.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterling View Post
    Exactly!

Putting charity aside, it is sometimes better to comply with the silly workplace requests, e.g. being asked to wear a badge reading "I love my job", being asked to sign a "He for She" commitment, being asked to ring a bell when a contract is won, being asked to reverse park in the car park. Why bother to moan about the little things that don't really mater that much?
    Because over time they add up, and eventually matter a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    stop whining like a bitch.
    Everything else was superfluous - thought I'd fix it for you.

As usual, no charge.

Leave a comment:

• Sterling
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Put your poppy on (and contribute some of your tax-avoided pay to the cause) and stop whining like a bitch.
    Exactly!

Putting charity aside, it is sometimes better to comply with the silly workplace requests, e.g. being asked to wear a badge reading "I love my job", being asked to sign a "He for She" commitment, being asked to ring a bell when a contract is won, being asked to reverse park in the car park. Why bother to moan about the little things that don't really mater that much?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by saurabh1 View Post
    Hi

Can employer make me wear poppy for commemoration?

Would this be considered d&c?
    This is a really tricky one, I suggest you call the HMRC help line, give them all your details and ask them to investigate this one for you.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Put your poppy on (and contribute some of your tax-avoided pay to the cause) and stop whining like a bitch.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I live about half a mile away from there as the crow flies (or attempts to) and it’s fine with me

Mind you, I don’t know anything about football. Some of the locals seem to take it very seriously…
    Most Leicester supporters know nothing about coding. However they say you take it very seriously.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    given the location of that photo I hope they're fireproof poppies.....

Too soon????
    I live about half a mile away from there as the crow flies (or attempts to) and it’s fine with me

Mind you, I don’t know anything about football. Some of the locals seem to take it very seriously…

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Wear a white one and see what happens.
    Oh. Confrontational. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Wear a white one and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    Given this was in general, this was a joke......I hope...
    Have a look at the posters other questions then....

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by saurabh1 View Post
    Hi

Can employer make me wear poppy for commemoration?

Would this be considered d&c?
    Given this was in general, this was a joke......I hope...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's not your bloody employer ffs.
    Except in his case it probably is...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X