• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Duckgogo

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Duckgogo"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    And how many of the tinfoil hats on here use Chrome browser whilst using DDG?

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

As I said DDG is a META “search engine”

The APIs they use ain’t free -you have to ask yourself how they are paying for it

Might as well search on Google, because at least you don’t stand out as somebody who got something to hide...
    A ridiculous statement.
    Privacy and freedom comes at a cost. Google and Facebook APIs invade most webpages now and I suspect it'll be disallowed in future. It's clear privacy invasion - we now know they're harvesting and using this information to a frightening extent.

DDG rely on donations and money gained from their advert links.

Any techy should be smart enough to integrate a workable TOR solution for general web-browsing, using their native connection, if not a client connection, for personal password protected content such as facebook, email and whatever else you fancy.

What may seem overkill now I believe will become more obvious in future when a single portal will reveal the extent of your footprint on the web, thanks to these intertwined APIs that mean you are fresh meat for interconnected adverts in future. Currently the physical world is somewhat sepadate from internet advertising, but in future it's likely to be connected to adverts in your car, personalised commercials on your radio and everything else imaginable as the platforms are ironed out.

We are sleepwalking into this. The above is currently in test, as can be seen from patents filed. Alexa listening to everything you do is disturbing to the extreme for privacy advocates such as myself. Within my household is private. Creativity and true freedom comes from this. Yes, dark stuff comes too from some misguided people, but they're the minority.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    Results are amalgamated from yahoo, bing and google.

I prefer StartPage search, which is also high on privacy:

StartPage Web Search

As I said DDG is a META “search engine”

The APIs they use ain’t free -you have to ask yourself how they are paying for it

Might as well search on Google, because at least you don’t stand out as somebody who got something to hide...

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I use DuckDuckGo but via safari or edge, their app isn’t great.
    Results are amalgamated from yahoo, bing and google.

I prefer StartPage search, which is also high on privacy:

StartPage Web Search

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    The search for the Google killer still goes on.....
    Until then though....

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    The search for the Google killer still goes on.....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I use it as my main search engine. Sometimes I have to use google when searching for tech stuff.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Lucky you posted this as made me realise summit major's gone wrong with my co website SEO. Suddenly impossible to find on that or Google.

PS Hmmm. Maybe site was down when botted. Having a lot of short outages recently due to host problems. Hope its that simple anyway.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 October 2018, 13:26.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I've been using it on my iPhone for a while now, every since Google started rolling out that terrible AMP stuff everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It's still better that your search engine. Where is your search engine by the way?
    How is it better than using the same Bing API to search directly?

This costs them money by the way, so should ask yourself how they make it back

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I use DuckDuckGo but via safari or edge, their app isn’t great.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Wrong

“DuckDuckGo's results are a compilation of "over 400" sources,[46] including Yahoo! Search BOSS; Wikipedia; Wolfram Alpha; Bing; its own Web crawler (the DuckDuckBot); and others.[3][46][47] It also uses data from crowdsourced sites, including Wikipedia, to populate "Zero-click Info" boxes – grey boxes above the results that display topic summaries and related topics.[11]”

Source - Wikipedia

If you have reasonably sized website then you can asily check user agents of bots that crawl it and compare how much or how little they crawl compared to the big boys

Searching them is about the same as searching on Bing or Yahoo (powered by Bing)
    It's still better that your search engine. Where is your search engine by the way?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I use DuckDuckGo as my main search engine, what better product endorsement is there?

It uses it's own crawler and search engine. The ads are from Yahoo and Bing search alliance, this is how it makes money.
    Wrong

“DuckDuckGo's results are a compilation of "over 400" sources,[46] including Yahoo! Search BOSS; Wikipedia; Wolfram Alpha; Bing; its own Web crawler (the DuckDuckBot); and others.[3][46][47] It also uses data from crowdsourced sites, including Wikipedia, to populate "Zero-click Info" boxes – grey boxes above the results that display topic summaries and related topics.[11]”

Source - Wikipedia

If you have reasonably sized website then you can asily check user agents of bots that crawl it and compare how much or how little they crawl compared to the big boys

Searching them is about the same as searching on Bing or Yahoo (powered by Bing)

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Anyone else using duckgogo instead of Google? Results are quite accurate so far. All we need now is some privacy focused politically neutral social media platforms now.
    It's a quacking piece of software................

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    I used the duck gogo browser on my mobile, but wasn't impressed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X