• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£7,000 day rate - how the other half live"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Some doctors in NHS do private practice at £500 per hour
    Presumably not 9-5 though, they get the odd juicy gig to top up their income?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yes but they would built in a month and have all the UAT paperwork signed off!
    A month? Pah! Any script kiddie would have one built for you in a couple of days....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    I typically don't.

My Software Engineering degrees are BSc & MSc and specifically not BEng & MEng. Very little of what we do in the field would be construed as being of a set of professional standards such as that required to build a bridge.

If our industry built them, they'd be falling down on a weekly basis.

yes but they would built in a month and have all the UAT paperwork signed off!

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    I quite agree....
    I typically don't.

My Software Engineering degrees are BSc & MSc and specifically not BEng & MEng. Very little of what we do in the field would be construed as being of a set of professional standards such as that required to build a bridge.

If our industry built them, they'd be falling down on a weekly basis.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Software engineer is certainly a valid term, and there's nothing wrong with calling oneself an engineer in context. However, colloquially, to say one works in "engineering" strongly implies something more akin to mechanical engineering - the kind of role that may have a protected title elsewhere.

The sector itself is broadly immaterial when it comes to contractor pay.

Not only that, but within the context of the thread it's clear nobody was talking about software engineering, so your deliberately vague input is next to useless.
    I quite agree....

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Yeah ok mate, whatever.
    Salty

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Software engineer is certainly a valid term, and there's nothing wrong with calling oneself an engineer in context. However, colloquially, to say one works in "engineering" strongly implies something more akin to mechanical engineering - the kind of role that may have a protected title elsewhere.

Not only that, but within the context of the thread it's clear nobody was talking about software engineering, so your deliberately vague input is next to useless.
    Yeah ok mate, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Yeah ok then, I'll bite

Software engineering was a valid term last time I looked.

I usually work in the "engineering" sector (as opposed to finance or health or whatever else has software these days).

So yes... I am in engineering.

HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    So you're not really "in engineering" then?
    Yeah ok then, I'll bite

Software engineering was a valid term last time I looked.

I usually work in the "engineering" sector (as opposed to finance or health or whatever else has software these days).

So yes... I am in engineering.

HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I wish... would be more interesting than writing software
    So you're not really "in engineering" then?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    proper engineering with lathes?
    I wish... would be more interesting than writing software

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm still in engineering, I haven't got out of bed for that sort of rate for years!

proper engineering with lathes?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Being in engineering sector, best I ever managed was £40 an hour.
    I'm still in engineering, I haven't got out of bed for that sort of rate for years!

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Some doctors in NHS do private practice at £500 per hour

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by password View Post
    I would very well believe the 7k figure and then some.

My thinking is... you hear of the odd £1k per hour high powered professional/consultant here and there, making a work day equate to about £7k.

I once had an issue and was quoted £400 per hour for partners time at a boutique law firm. Easy to see how some big players would get that up to a £1000.

I reckon the million dollar bonuses are relating to bringing in billable time for armies of consultants and new business. I doubt it's contingent on single billable only.
    Have you guys not read "The Firm"?

Tells you all you need to know about "Consultants".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X