• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft reader is no longer available for PDF's"

Collapse

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just remember, it's your fault.

Suspicions suggest the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. Do you have the original packaging the computer came in?
    Out of all the advanced development tools and media editors that run on my computer with ease it is usually Microsoft programs that fail or crash on me, still after 30 years in the business. I've written advanced [native] desktop software for windows and I can never understand why they struggle to get it right.

Just stop being a dick for a minute sunny boy.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    That's really worrying! I can't check every cell in my umpteen sheets.
    Not really, it's scoots we're talking about here. While all software can have faults, I know where I'd bet the farm.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    On a T&M contract you can.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Check for large tables?
    None. It even happens with a new sheet where I've just copied a bit of stuff. Very inconsistent fault, sometimes very slow with a white screen and not responding message, sometimes no problems at all with the same sheet. It could be some other program, anti-virus stuff etc.

a simple addition returned an incorrect value
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 September 2018, 15:18.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...Software now fills me with doubts...
    So it should. It's the only sensible approach.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied

Suspicions suggest the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. ...
    Maybe the Op should get the chair and keyboard some counselling sessions so that they can work out their differences.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    PICNIC

Nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    LibreOffice?

Works well for me, plus I still use Office97 for most of my speadsheets.

I may upgrade to Office2003 at some point

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    But in general, I agree. Fed up with functionality being changed or removed.
    Exactly the point of this thread I guess. One cannot work reliably when the tool box keeps changing on you.

Apple's Numbers has never been a contender but it's slowly moving up the chart as everything else slides down.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Same experience here. Copy-paste between cells causes a freeze for a couple of seconds, a powerful workstation too.

Just remember, it's your fault.

Suspicions suggest the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. Do you have the original packaging the computer came in?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Doing my accounts and finding Office 2016 Excel has got v slow. Change a cell and wait seconds for mouse to move. No idea why, no VBA, and only same links as I have very year.

rant NOT over. My ranting is never over, just moves from subject to subject.
    I was astounded the other day using Excel 2016 when a simple addition returned an incorrect value because of error checking. If not for prudence I'd have assumed the value correct and moved on. Software now fills me with doubts. Crazy this is 2018 and the tools are becoming less capable than they were in 1998.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Doing my accounts and finding Office 2016 Excel has got v slow. Change a cell and wait seconds for mouse to move. No idea why, no VBA, and only same links as I have very year.
    Check for large tables? I had a worksheet where I created some YUGE tables to 'allow for expansion', when performance suffered, cutting them down to the actual realistic size restored it.

But in general, I agree. Fed up with functionality being changed or removed.

The Groove Music iOS and Android apps will be retired on December 1, 2018. After that date, the apps won't work and should be uninstalled

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Same experience here. Copy-paste between cells causes a freeze for a couple of seconds, a powerful workstation too.
    It's a plot to make you switch to M$ Money.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X