• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Travel Advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Travel Advice"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I can see you are confused by your hatred of all foreigners, but as has been pointed out on this thread:

Strangely enough, the migrants did not become invisible to car drivers and only visible when lorries went past on the same road as the cars.
    sorry did I not immediately reply to your post and then preferred Barmies, I can see you feel hurt, lets have a moment for your feelings.

As the way of getting onto lorries is different to the ways of getting onto cars it makes sense that yes they can be invisible to cars as they aren't where cars are. But they are visible and still coming - in the last month:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-drivers.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kirk-camp.html

https://www.handyshippingguide.com/s...age-group_9306

French police clear 500 migrants from Dunkirk camp | Arab News

They seem to have moved to Dunkirk because what we are doing at Calais seems to be working.

Key thing is we are still spending significant amounts trying to keep them out and a number are getting through.

Obviously all these videos & reports are fake news because you can't deal with them.

I don't quite understand how you think disliking law breakers = disliking foreigners.
    I am worried do you think all law breakers are foreigners or vice versa in which case you probably need help!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'm seriously considering putting our car on the train, at least one way down to the Cote D'Azur next year. Has anyone here done this?
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Think they stopped that service some years ago , may be better to use TGV down as passengers and then hire once there ... my plan B when the drive down becomes too problematic in my dotage

Nope, still there, allegedly:
    https://uk.voyages-sncf.eu/products/trains/autotrain

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Think they stopped that service some years ago , may be better to use TGV down as passengers and then hire once there ... my plan B when the drive down becomes too problematic in my dotage
    If I'm going to hire when there I may as well fly the family down.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    They tend to go for trucks going into the UK, for some reason they don't want to stay in France or mainland Europe. I can see why you were confused driving a car into Europe.
    I can see you are confused by your hatred of all foreigners, but as has been pointed out on this thread:

A few years ago I was making the journey regularly (when the refugees used to get mentions in the Daily Mail every day). I saw a few migrants at the side of the autoroute near the tunnel - maybe 3 or 4 each journey, but generally the police moved them on.
    They were not interested in cars and not interested in anything heading away from the port.
    Strangely enough, the migrants did not become invisible to car drivers and only visible when lorries went past on the same road as the cars.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'm seriously considering putting our car on the train, at least one way down to the Cote D'Azur next year. Has anyone here done this?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Was there the other day, nada...The only migrants you'll see are middle class Brits escaping to greener pastures :-)
    ah that's why we are spending £20 million on new radar its to stop Bozo & JRM escaping

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3827301.html

The Home Office has bowed to pressure to spend more on border security to detect illegal migrants hiding in lorries bound for UK ports from Northern Europe.

Border Force officials are planning to spend £20 million on new scanning equipment that can spot stowaways inside vehicles, the Evening Standard has learned.

Britain currently has only five scanners to use on the hundreds of thousands of freight vehicles crossing the Channel from Calais and Coquelles in France, and Zeebrugge in Belgium.
    They tend to go for trucks going into the UK, for some reason they don't want to stay in France or mainland Europe. I can see why you were confused driving a car into Europe.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Especially Belgiums, they never indicate. Had one driver recently pull out into my lane at speed. I had to serve and hit one of those plastic posts in the process.
    would have thought even you would have seen something as big as Belgium pulling out on you!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Fooking hell that was good!

Swanned through the toll booth queues full of Belgium & Dutch camper vans finding change , felt positivity un British like to queue jump like that!
    £125 for France/Spain border and back ... & may get a Spanish tag next year

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Got one of these tag things for the annual drive South Motorway Tag

Will see if it's worth while
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    pointless - using the tolls going through France recently, booth accepted contactless payment - was through in 30 secs.
    Fooking hell that was good!

Swanned through the toll booth queues full of Belgium & Dutch camper vans finding change , felt positivity un British like to queue jump like that!
    £125 for France/Spain border and back ... & may get a Spanish tag next year

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied

If you go regularly then it's worthwhile, particularly if you are going through the tolls in southern France where you can literally queue for hours.

There's also (IMHO) a certain amount of schadenfeude (is there a French for that?) watching cars follow you into the T lane and then having to reverse out because they don't have a tag

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Were they in a BWM or Audi? If so, it’s not just Belgians.
    don't remember - too busy trying to calm the screaming children in the back

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Don't listen to these posturing idiots, there is a real risk when returning to the UK and no police presence.

Depends on time of day, activity waxes and wanes. Drive at the limit and stop for nobody. Mornings are the clearest as the migrants sleep in - they do target lorries and vans though so you should be safe.

The truth is it's been like this for decades, I started touring Europe by bike in the '90s and returning to Calais via the country roads was like heading to an "African Glastonbury".

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I first drove to Greece in 1969. At that there were only tolls in France and Italy.
    This time my one way journey is 1,800 miles and now it seems that almost every friggin country has tolls.
    I did drive to Italy regularly in my yoof, but always avoided as many tolls as possible by going the Belgium > Aachen>Suisse > Milano route

Suisse carnet was mandatory though

A carnet is something we should do in this country

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

I first drove to Greece in 1969. At that there were only tolls in France and Italy.
    This time my one way journey is 1,800 miles and now it seems that almost every friggin country has tolls.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Just back from France and no sign of any migrants. Really watch out for people pulling out on you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X