• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE Consultative Council (CC) Election"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    My tax insurance is for anything tax related - IR35, VAT etc.

Surely IPSE can't be trying to take credit for telling people how to be outside IR35 ? Hahah. You must be kidding. The government out manoeuvred IPSE. I'm not saying they are bad - I just don't see the point of them.
    Ha ha ha yourself. PCG, what is now Abbey Tax and QDOS collectively worked out what the IR35 legislation meant and how to avoid it many years ago. The whole IR35 industry has been built on that foundation.

I won't go into a long debate about how to prove a negative, but IPSE and others (ICAEW, REC and so on) have had many quiet successes preventing bad things happening. Don't confuse motion with progress.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    To be fair. IPSE's cover is for a lot more than IR35; it's any tax-related investigation. The total Plus package would cost around £1000 on the open market, although obviously not everyone needs all the various bundled add-ons so it's not that strong a selling point.

As for IR35 - it's difficult to deal with a government department that will ignore everything they're told, but are you paying up under it or do you know how to put yourself outside it? Assuming the latter, how do you think that happened?
    My tax insurance is for anything tax related - IR35, VAT etc.

Surely IPSE can't be trying to take credit for telling people how to be outside IR35 ? Hahah. You must be kidding. The government out manoeuvred IPSE. I'm not saying they are bad - I just don't see the point of them.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Same here. 10 years ago. That and the free contract templates I used.

10 years later IR35 is very much more of a risk and pain than it was then - no progress whatsoever - PCG becomes IPSE and is neutralised by the current gov. I think most of what they sell can be bought more cheaply elsewhere. Hiscox do £100k of IR35 insurance for £60 a year. Personally I don't see the point of IPSE.
    To be fair. IPSE's cover is for a lot more than IR35; it's any tax-related investigation. The total Plus package would cost around £1000 on the open market, although obviously not everyone needs all the various bundled add-ons so it's not that strong a selling point.

As for IR35 - it's difficult to deal with a government department that will ignore everything they're told, but are you paying up under it or do you know how to put yourself outside it? Assuming the latter, how do you think that happened?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    £320 to get a large Papa Johns pizza for only a tenner - or I could go to the Papa Johns website and get a large pizza for a tenner - I'm sold.
    I'll take one as well!

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They've got a great Advantages site!
    £320 to get a large Papa Johns pizza for only a tenner - or I could go to the Papa Johns website and get a large pizza for a tenner - I'm sold.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

10 years later IR35 is very much more of a risk and pain than it was then - no progress whatsoever - PCG becomes IPSE and is neutralised by the current gov. I think most of what they sell can be bought more cheaply elsewhere. Hiscox do £100k of IR35 insurance for £60 a year. Personally I don't see the point of IPSE.
    They've got a great Advantages site!

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
    No, I joined them because I thought they were going to get IR35 abolished

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can we propose anonymously?
    Is HMRC bunging you to get PC onto the Council?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've change my mind. Mr Usman Tariq appears to want to take on this lofty role despite being hospitalised. That level of dedication beats Mr Anscombe's power pose hands down I am afraid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can we propose anonymously?

Leave a comment:

• The Castle Cary Fairy
    replied
    It's almost as if people join IPSE for the IR35 insurance and nothing else ...
    No, I joined them because I thought they were going to get IR35 abolished

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well once you've taken out anyone that can't post a picture that is the right way around then the field becomes a little small.

Toby has my vote just because of the power pose.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That's not true. Mr Ligin Sreenivasan joined to be part of a team it appears.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    started a topic IPSE Consultative Council (CC) Election

IPSE Consultative Council (CC) Election

Morning all

Just a heads-up to all IPSE Members who use this forum.

The annual election process for prospective Consultative Council members is now taking place. Nominations close on 04 May at 12h00, whilst voting starts 18 May at 10h00. Any Member of IPSE is eligible to stand.

https://election.ipse.co.uk/

If you are a member, please visit the site, view the candidates who have nominated themselves (some will "entertain you"), and perhaps, nominate yourself? Apathy amongst the +- 20 000 members is quite astonishing, considering that your annual membership fee (up to £266+VAT) is not inconsiderable. Get better value from this, by playing an active part in IPSE.

IPSE needs to change the way it engages with its Members (and the CC). Be heard, make a difference.

Working...
X