• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chucked in a £420 a day Contract for 60k perm job. Am I mad??"

Collapse

• 1manshow
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    The perm demand is high ?
    Both contract and perm.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Can you steal any clients for contract work?
    I like the thought of that

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Originally posted by RStrongbolt View Post
    So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!
    Dish the dirt. Or let me guess - they've honoured the pay and pension stuff, but apart form that:
    • Your boss is an unsupportive tyrant
    • You're working out of a portakabin
    • You have no budget
    • Those nice colleagues you worked with before are in a different department. You've got all the misogynists, liars, back-stabbers, alcoholics and gossips.
    • The objectives are hopeless. You're working 40 hours a week just to produce progress reports on why the project is running late.
    • You have daily 1:1 sessions with your manager on why the project is so far behind.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
    If your skills are in demand and your in an area with a lot of job opportunities - I would say yes you are mad.

You'll be getting around double after taxes in the contract job. The benefits I guess do look good on the new role, but I don't know. I am currently on a £450 rate and for me to switch to perm, I think I'd want £80k+ on the perm salary at least personally (in London the demand is high for my role).

People will talk about job security but to be honest, even in a perm job you can be made redundant.
    The perm demand is high ?

Leave a comment:

• 1manshow
    replied
    If your skills are in demand and your in an area with a lot of job opportunities - I would say yes you are mad.

You'll be getting around double after taxes in the contract job. The benefits I guess do look good on the new role, but I don't know. I am currently on a £450 rate and for me to switch to perm, I think I'd want £80k+ on the perm salary at least personally (in London the demand is high for my role).

People will talk about job security but to be honest, even in a perm job you can be made redundant.
    Last edited by 1manshow; 7 June 2018, 10:56.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Seriously though, an outside IR35 contract at £420 per day will take home nearly 2x that permie job. Can't see on any level that it's a smart move unless you really don't care about money, in which case why be an IT contractor in the first place?
    If you're in it.

If work/life balance is key then it's a bit different.
    The share scheme and pension scheme look bloody good, as well as the free food (c. £200-250 per month after tax). It soon all adds up.

The contract market is not great at the moment and it's better to secure something before Brexit panics/excuses hit and rounds of redundancies start up with the contractors going first.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!
    Start applying immediately for contracts as long as you are still in your probation period which usually means a notice of 1 or 2 weeks , which is ideal

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Can you steal any clients for contract work?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Oooh do tell!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of punters.

Bloody hell, when was that taken?

Not wishing to be unkind but you've put on a tulip load of weight since then!

Leave a comment:

• RStrongbolt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I went from £640 per day in 2000 to $50K + BUPA + Fully expensed car (Volvo 940).

It was ok. I picked up a lot of experience, so now I charge £1500 per day.
    Wow, that's a lot of punters.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I went from £640 per day in 2000 to $50K + BUPA + Fully expensed car (Volvo 940).

Didn't realise CUK paid their mods so much. I suppose they have to, seeing as you have so much work to do removing the boatloads of drivel that gets posted here daily

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied

So 10 baked potatoes with cheese and beans a day.

Before tax.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X