• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plastic Waste environmental emergency"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    On a side note When I was a kid it was all about the CO2 causing a hole in the ozone layer - but I never hear about that anymore. I assume that was all solved.
    It wasn't that's total BS or an other indicator about the extremely bad British education system
    It was about CFCs which are now banned and the hole has started to shrink in recent years

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The speed at which it's gained mass-awareness is certainly very sudden but people having been talking about it for ages as a Big Problem. Sometimes there's just a tipping point.

If you stop to think about just how much plastic never even gets the chance to be recycled it's pretty mind-blowing. The scale of the planet makes "obvious" answers whether it's actually bad hard to verify but just walking anywhere it's depressing on a small scale how much crap there is.

Maybe the surprise is how long this wasn't a big deal.

I'm still amazed at the lack of progress into proper biodegradable plastics. How hard can it be

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    CFCs were replaced with hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), which are a bit less nasty. These, too, are due to be phased out in the next 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's amazing how bad science confuses things.

When you were a kid, all aerosols and fridges were full of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). These were phased out after the Montreal Protocol in the late 80s, and since about the mid 90s, no CFCs have been manufactured.
    Since then the ozone layer has recovered to a degree.
    Thanks - that saved me looking it up. Job Done.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    On a side note When I was a kid it was all about the CO2 causing a hole in the ozone layer - but I never hear about that anymore. I assume that was all solved.
    It's amazing how bad science confuses things.

When you were a kid, all aerosols and fridges were full of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). These were phased out after the Montreal Protocol in the late 80s, and since about the mid 90s, no CFCs have been manufactured.
    Since then the ozone layer has recovered to a degree.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Isn't hemp a biodegradable alternative?
    And cornstarch "plastic".

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    No, they can easily be made of cardboard, and that would be far safer anyway.

What always baffles me is why someone can't develop a biodegradable plastic, or at least a simple way to render plastic waste biodegradable, even if the plastic is not before it is disposed of.

Even a strong UV source would weaken most forms of plastic and start breaking it down, I would have thought.
    Isn't hemp a biodegradable alternative?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    See second post in thread - they already do that and have done for decades. However plastic clearly is cheaper.

What always baffles me is why someone can't develop a biodegradable plastic, or at least a simple way to render plastic waste biodegradable, even if the plastic is not before it is disposed of.

Even a strong UV source would weaken most forms of plastic and start breaking it down, I would have thought.
    See post above yours

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    As you all are the fountain of all knowledge and I don't trust what I google - is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?

Plastic straw and cotton bud ban proposed - BBC News

Do I have to give up Cotton Buds? ..

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Relax, nature finds a way.

Recycling hope for plastic-hungry enzyme - BBC News

Scientists have improved a naturally occurring enzyme which can digest some of our most commonly polluting plastics.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    As you all are the fountain of all knowledge and I don't trust what I google - is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?
    It's TM's latest virtue signal as part of her doomed local election campaign. Maybe she could publish her share portfolio to show us all just how much the cares about the environment.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?
    Nope. It has been for years - just because you weren't paying attention doesn't mean it's only just happened.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It has become an emergency because China is not taking our crap anymore.

We're doomed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Cotton wool buds can be brought with the stem made some sort of paper substance and you can get paper straws.

I'm sure that:
    1. In the past I have had cotton wool buds where the middle was some sort of paper or card, and,
    2. I definitely use to be given paper straws as a kid for a couple of years.

I think they were scrapped as plastic is cheaper.

(A quick Google reveals you can get both. Sainsburys sells the cotton wool buds. )

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    started a topic Plastic Waste environmental emergency

Plastic Waste environmental emergency

Plastic straw and cotton bud ban proposed - BBC News

Do I have to give up Cotton Buds?

Or cant we improve landfill sites?

Working...
X