• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Renewal negotation

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Renewal negotation"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    At that point current client will probably match it with a 30 day notice.
    Or say "see you" and ensure that they make it clear to anyone asking about the contractor that they need to watch for this kind of thing.

If the market isn't buoyant (and I have no idea how many roles there are in Manchester paying £525+ a day for stack development) then you may find that it's a matter of time before you get found out.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Take the £450, negotiate the notice period down to a day, find something paying £525 (if such a thing exists in Manchester for that skillset), give notice and jump to the next client.

Simple.
    I quite like that, it might make them think. £450 with one weeks notice would suffice. Then if the OP can get £500 pd or more, they can easily jump ship. At that point current client will probably match it with a 30 day notice.

It's all a game of billy big balls. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by CoderSaturn View Post
    Any thoughts are welcome.
    Take the £450, negotiate the notice period down to a day, find something paying £525 (if such a thing exists in Manchester for that skillset), give notice and jump to the next client.

Simple.

Leave a comment:

• Sub
    replied
    Rate is currently £425 a day for doing full stack development/architecture work.

We’ve achieved a lot within the first 6 months we’ve been setup and the CIO is really keen on what we are doing. My contract renewal is up and they offered me an extension at £450 up from £425. However I feel this is somewhat of a disapointing increase after working a lot of hours to get things up and running and to the standard they are at today. I asked for £525, however they are trying to hold me off and said they would have negotiate it to the CIO.
    As it been said above your only argument to client is that you may walk. But even you are essential part of project and your departure will mean significant delay/losses, 25% raise after just 6 months is bit hard to swallow, you know, even they have these money - it can be just about principle for them. If you like the job, negotiate around 10%, with paid overtime (if there is any) or stop doing it and ask for another 10% 6-9 months later. To me the tactic worked better than asking for big raise once in 2 years.
    But you still will be better off if you start looking for new gig when you enter these negs

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Apply for other roles, depending on technologies you're on a very average rate in Manchester; 500 is routine for Manc.

I've had £150 day increases previously due to leverage not too dissimilar to your position. Having a nice war chest and skills makes me brutal in these situations.
    ^^I agree with this.

From past experience the go in low and expect decent rate hikes at subsequent renewals just doesn't happen unless you're brutal and can walk if so required. Ultimately it's business so if you're prepared to give away your skills cheaply then clients will take advantage and continue to do so as long as they can.

In 10 years of contracting the norm (for me at least) has been only getting rate increases if I have left and subsequently been asked to go back to a client or have been asked to renege on a contract elsewhere which is something I wouldn't ordinarily advocate but can be lucrative. I've only negotiated rate increases at next renewal a couple of times.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Yeah exactly, will be applying to other clients.
    Agree with this, it is usually the way to get a rise. Some clients are more profitable and therefore are able to pay more for contractors. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Well, it's a bit too late for advice because you're already negotiating but typically I just tell them I'm not renewing, wait for them to be nice and desperate then when they inevitably get someone senior enough to make stuff happen to sit down with me, I tell them maybe I'd consider $rate.

That said, this is a game you play when you're trying to say **** you to a client you don't really like. If you like working there, have an easy life and are easy to replace, you should really just shut up and get on it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Rate is currently £425 a day for doing full stack development/architecture work.
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Apply for other roles, depending on technologies you're on a very average rate in Manchester; 500 is routine for Manc.
    I'd say that benchmarking the OP's rate would require us to establish whether they're doing mostly development or mostly architecture work. I hear a lot of developers describing themselves as "architects" these days. IMO, 500pd would be a high-end rate in Manchester for a developer in any of the mainstream languages (PHP, Python, Java, C# etc), and it would be an average rate for somebody genuinely performing the role of architect.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied

I've had £150 day increases previously due to leverage not too dissimilar to your position. Having a nice war chest and skills makes me brutal in these situations.

Leave a comment:

• CoderSaturn
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Why wait? The current managers have already made it clear to you that they do not think you're worth $525/day. If you believe you can get that rate (or something close to that) elsewhere, then go get it. Time waits for no man.
    Yeah exactly, will be applying to other clients.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    True, that’s why I would ideally line up another deal elsewhere incase they said no.
    Why wait? The current managers have already made it clear to you that they do not think you're worth $525/day. If you believe you can get that rate (or something close to that) elsewhere, then go get it. Time waits for no man.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Agree that £425 is a good rate and I can’t really moan at the extension, what I’ve done is bold. I’ve worked with them before and always deliver, told by them they’d up it quite abit and they haven’t. I just want a bit more as I feel it’s what I deserve that is all.
    Then insist on it or walk (and potentially end up with £0). You don't really have any other options.

Leave a comment:

• CoderSaturn
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Ah, so it's jealousy A bit like the permie on 45K seeing the contractor raking in £425 a day.

If £425 is a good rate, don't get greedy. £0 doesn't go too far these days.

Agree that £425 is a good rate and I can’t really moan at the extension, what I’ve done is bold but 100% not due to jealously. I’ve worked with them before and always deliver, told by them they’d up it quite abit and they haven’t. I just want a bit more as I feel it’s what I deserve that is all.
    Last edited by CoderSaturn; 16 February 2018, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Manchester. Yes, I agree £425 is a good rate. Like I mentioned above, I dont really need the extra but its more about principle about working hard and being rewarded, especially when the people you’re working with are connected at a CIO level and taking the big money for themselves.
    Ah, so it's jealousy A bit like the permie on 45K seeing the contractor raking in £425 a day.

If £425 is a good rate, don't get greedy. £0 doesn't go too far these days.

Leave a comment:

• CoderSaturn
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Haha. If you want to believe that matey knock yourself out. Im not the one bleating on a webforum asking for back up when my £100 a day renewal increase is knocked back. Know what I mean? Probably not, eh?
    Im asking for advice not backup you tit. Lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X