• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office politics - bad clients you've had?"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    why what have I done

it was shaft or be shafted, kill or be killed
    Oh, the drama

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I had to play this to someone in a meeting once.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    What's your real name? - edmund blackadder??
    I hope i never have to work anywhere near you
    why what have I done

it was shaft or be shafted, kill or be killed

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    I have worked for the same guy twice. In two different companies. In both instances I had to play games to get him fired, as he was so totally useless. The second time he hired me (I didnt know it was him till I turned up for the interview) having obviously no clue that I was the reason he had the boot from the previous place. Anyways I needed the money and took the gig, gave him the benefit of the doubt, but ended up working the system to get him kicked out. Ended up being offered a very senior perm role there myself one below VP if IT worldwide for a big multi tens of billion company, currently looking back thinking I probably should have taken it.

Other times I have not been so lucky and have just walked rather than work for complete $%£$%

Office politics sadly is necessary sometimes to get things done, although I would prefer to keep out of it and be completely straigtforward

Funny old game
    What's your real name? - edmund blackadder??
    I hope i never have to work anywhere near you

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    I have worked for the same guy twice. In two different companies. In both instances I had to play games to get him fired, as he was so totally useless. The second time he hired me (I didnt know it was him till I turned up for the interview) having obviously no clue that I was the reason he had the boot from the previous place. Anyways I needed the money and took the gig, gave him the benefit of the doubt, but ended up working the system to get him kicked out. Ended up being offered a very senior perm role there myself one below VP if IT worldwide for a big multi tens of billion company, currently looking back thinking I probably should have taken it.

Other times I have not been so lucky and have just walked rather than work for complete $%£$%

Office politics sadly is necessary sometimes to get things done, although I would prefer to keep out of it and be completely straigtforward

Funny old game

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Arguing my point with some wrinkly old change control manager tart, she wasn't convinced about my assertion that the change I wanted done would have no adverse effect on service.

She (mistakenly) uttered the phrase, "I've been burned before".

I said, "They normally only do that if you don't drown".
    brilliant.

No wonder you got fired.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    London Clancy

A real bullying culture. Especailly with an IT are crap, can;t deliver stuff. I was told I'd get no help from stakeholders and they were right.

Didn;t like the attitude of senior managers from the start, but having popped in to see a stakeholder to confirm something, he went mental screaming, shouting 'get out', totally unprofessional. So wandered off and as I walked through the secretarial pool muttered the words 'what a twat'

A bit later the PM and someone from HR wanted to talk to me as one of the secretaries had reported me.

So I explained what happened and how rude he'd been. HR then said, 'Yes, we don't use the t word when referring to colleagues, especially this one'. 'If it happens again, please refer to him as a c**t as that what he is, c**t. Is that now understood?'

And that was the end of the chat. They were all like it.

I gave my notice in the next day.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    One project, the permie PM was a bit unstable. Apparently it stemmed from when he worked in some African country and went for a little walk, but didn't take his gun (he wasn't a soldier - I'm not sure what he was doing there, nor exactly where it was). He was attacked by a man with a machete, and only lived becaused a colleague happened to be in the same area.

The project was a death march and it was abundantly clear that we'd never make the proposed go-live date. Things like that during the main testing phase all the permies were on holiday, didn't help. Anyway, as a result of the trauama he was prone to fits of anger. He wanted updates on my team's progress every day. Since this was the days before decent project tracking software, these constant updates slowed us down somewhat, triggering said fits of anger, which also slowed down our work until he ran of out steam and stormed off.

Apart from that, he was a very decent, kind bloke.

I finally had to leave when I was reading the paper during my lunchbreak and he demanded an update, and I just said "I'm on my lunch" and carried on reading. Frankly it was a relief to get off the project, although it took threats of legal action to get the last invoice paid.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Arguing my point with some wrinkly old change control manager tart, she wasn't convinced about my assertion that the change I wanted done would have no adverse effect on service.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What was the joke?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What was the joke?
    PC

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    National Australia Group. No sense of humour.

I cracked what, even if I say so myself, was the best gag ever cracked at a change control meeting

Got terminated, on 5 days notice, when I had 8 days of my contact remaining, so maybe someone in there had a sense of humour.
    What was the joke?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Mods, cant we give Psycho here his own sub forum ?
    Put him on your ignore list and stop whining.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can we ban Vetran please. Reason - About as funny as a dose of piles.
    Would like to, but it would be false premise. Because he's not as funny as a dose of piles.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    National Australia Group. No sense of humour.

I cracked what, even if I say so myself, was the best gag ever cracked at a change control meeting

Got terminated, on 5 days notice, when I had 8 days of my contact remaining, so maybe someone in there had a sense of humour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X