• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Greedy boomers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Greedy boomers"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    This country relies on high property prices to keep the economy going.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/soaring-h...092047440.html

Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is if you want to own your own home early on in life you need to
    1) Work hard at school, get decent qualifications
    2) get a job
    3) Make sacrifices to save up for a deposit
    4) buy a house

So yes unsurprisingly getting pregnant at 16 and then not working a day in your life may mean that you will never own you own home. Who would have though that?

I think the actual problem is snowflakes and millennials feel they are entitled to a house and all the other luxuries modern life has to offer - wake up call you are not.

Until I start seeing millennials without iPhone's, golf's on personal contract hire, stupid expensive beards and haircuts, 100 dollar trainers, 2 grand mac books, 4 quids worth of mochachocochino then I simply will not give a fook about their whinging tulip
    You should write for the Mail - The comments section, where you'd be right at home with the other out-of-touch old buffers huffing and puffing about "the young of today"

All that BS about saving and making sacrifices is utterly futile these days, when wages for nearly all young people are stagnant, rents take at least half their income anyway (making it even more impossible to save), and house prices are fifteen times average annual salary (except in a few remote obscure places with practically no employment)

I'm absolutely with Purple Gorilla on all this. But the irony is most young people are convinced Corbyn & co will be their salvation when in fact by relaxing immigration controls, solely for party political advantage, he will end up making their problems now and in the future immeasurably worse.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and then invite or allow literally millions of immigrants in to the country, so the housing shortage can be renewed and made worse than ever. Brilliant!
    This country relies on high property prices to keep the economy going.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and then invite or allow literally millions of immigrants in to the country, so the housing shortage can be renewed and made worse than ever. Brilliant!
    I didn't ask for that, I campaigned against it and was called racist. Maybe some of these youngsters who keep telling us these oldies ruined it for them could get off their ARS and do something about it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In Germany most people don't own their own home, but you know what, they're not miserable.

Anton Kreil has a good take on this, sensible people don't buy, they rent.
    if rent were at 1980 levels then possibly he has a point. Currently they are 50% of take home for lots of people.

We have lived in a large house for the last 25 years rental for each of them would be £1200 - £2500 a month. I have always paid less that £1K a month in mortgage etc. Yes there is a maintenance cost but its fairly low and you can have the house how YOU like. You don't have to compromise on safety or convenience to please the landlord.

You can have parties & pets.

in a few years I will have paid off our small mortgage and be able to live rent free. This makes a comfortable retirement much closer. I know the government will want it when I am dead but I won't care!

Strangely all the multimillionaires I know own their homes.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Yes the productive members of society are creating fewer productive babies.

There have been changes to dissuade Benefit Babies.

Build more houses have fewer people wanting them.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Let me address one point raised here.

Teenage pregnancy rates are falling.

Many are having kids later, because they can’t afford to have them earlier after student debts, housing deposits etc.

Quite a sad state of affairs really, but WGAF?
    Yes the productive members of society are creating fewer productive babies.

There have been changes to dissuade Benefit Babies.

Build more houses have fewer people wanting them.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    In Germany most people don't own their own home, but you know what, they're not miserable.

Anton Kreil has a good take on this, sensible people don't buy, they rent.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Greedy boomers

Let me address one point raised here.

Teenage pregnancy rates are falling.

Many are having kids later, because they can’t afford to have them earlier after student debts, housing deposits etc.

Quite a sad state of affairs really, but WGAF?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It was all Old Tory men's fault though....

or it was actually probably Blair and his magic money tree to fund the war in Iraq whilst simultaneously opening the door to 10000000 of migrants, giving them money from the magic money tree to ensure they voted labour.......

or something similar anyway....
    we let them do it.

The cause is clear but we were unable to talk about it because of racism smears.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The simple fact of the matter is if you want to own your own home early on in life you need to
    2) get a job
    4) buy a house

So yes unsurprisingly getting pregnant at 16 and then not working a day in your life may mean that you will never own you own home. Who would have though that?

I think the actual problem is snowflakes and millennials feel they are entitled to a house and all the other luxuries modern life has to offer - wake up call you are not.

Until I start seeing millennials without iPhone's, golf's on personal contract hire, stupid expensive beards and haircuts, 100 dollar trainers, 2 grand mac books, 4 quids worth of mochachocochino then I simply will not give a fook about their whinging tulip
    Blimey lots of food here.

I agree the social housing needs to be reviewed, getting a council house is like winning the lottery financially. They won't take it off you.

The tories did force mothers on benefit back to work which has stopped some more babies for benefit and improved the outcomes for their children.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well if you vote for unlimited immigration and fail to push the government to build sufficient houses etc what do you expect. Don't blame it on me! My house goes up in value every day while you lot pay rent to astute investors.
    It was all Old Tory men's fault though....

or it was actually probably Blair and his magic money tree to fund the war in Iraq whilst simultaneously opening the door to 10000000 of migrants, giving them money from the magic money tree to ensure they voted labour.......

or something similar anyway....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    2) get a job
    4) buy a house

unfortunately I have to sympathise with them. Average wage is £30k around here, three times that wouldn't buy you a studio flat.

Build more houses, have fewer people wanting them is the only cure.

damn foxy beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    2) get a job
    4) buy a house

Grandad, in your day, how did the average house price compare with the average salary?
    Average first-time buyer needs £41,000 salary - Telegraph

The snowflake generation who have taking every penny they can, then whinge at people under 60 who are working hard, they are the ones who own the property and have no interest in the future of the country or their children's generation.
    They are the ones who didn't bring their kids up well and now complain that their kids are useless.
    You reap what you sow.

Don't like how the under 40s act today? Maybe the elderly should have been marginally less self centred when they were that age and done something to help their kids, rather than just throwing toys at them, and making them believe that having more toys is the solution to the problem.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Nice quote talking about American boomers.

Here’s a quote from the UK’s Chartered Institute of Housing;

Levels of homeownership are collapsing among young people but increasing among older people. In England, 66.5% of 25-34 year olds were homeowners in 1991 – a figure that dropped to 36% in 2013-14. Over the same period, the percentage of 65-74 year olds that own their own home has risen from 62.3% to 77.1%.

There is also an extraordinary gap between homeownership rates for different groups of people. Across Great Britain, lone parents or single people under pension age are least likely to own a home, while more than 80% of couples with no dependent children or over pension age are homeowners.

Rising house prices mean that net housing wealth in the UK has grown by £1.22 trillion (58 per cent) since 2003 – and more than a third of property-based wealth is held by households where the household reference person is 65 or older. This increase in wealth for older people has fuelled the growth of the buy-to-let market – with older households looking to supplement their pension income by buying more property, aided by access to interest-only mortgages which are denied to most first-time buyers.

This is creating a perfect storm, with older and already privileged homeowners buying more homes to rent out to those who are unable to compete in the housing market. In 2013-14 almost half (48%) of all households aged 25-34 in England were living in private rented homes – a proportion that has more than doubled from 21% in 2003-4. The trend looks set to continue, with some 1.5 million extra people aged 30 or under ‘pushed into renting’ by 2020.

Housing news
    well if you vote for unlimited immigration and fail to push the government to build sufficient houses etc what do you expect. Don't blame it on me! My house goes up in value every day while you lot pay rent to astute investors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X