• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why Are Pimps Forcing the Company Kool-Aid?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Oh, definitely....for as long as the system keeps on running....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    A long time ago i was a pimp.......

I know, I needed the money etc .

But often they are just looking busy by making phone calls.

It is such a tulipty ra ra ra sales environment populated by wideboys in cheap suits whose sole goal in life is to be a wideboy in an expensive suit.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Said no to one, his reply? "No worries thanks, if your situation changes please get in touch."

Leave a comment:

• Smackdown
    replied
    I actually have a theory about this.

Relative scarcity of contracts.

I had four calls about the same contract on Monday, each a different recruiter.

Everyone had loads of permie roles but contracts were hard to find. I think some of that is also due to contracts being on the market for much less time as well.

It's ugly girls vs hot girls. Guess which ones you find on dating sites.

Sorry girls, but I want a hot bank account.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I've had a few of these as well recently.

You can see on my LI profile I've been freelance/contract for over 14 years, but they still send me permy roles.

Said no to one, his reply? "No worries thanks, if your situation changes please get in touch."

qh

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am sure the lack of pay is made up by the love you receive.
    Oh, definitely....for as long as the system keeps on running....

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If you want a permit role with abusive clients, can I suggest becoming a forum moderator. You won't get £25k a year though.

Licence to post?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I am sure the lack of pay is made up by the reaming you receive.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If you want a permit role with abusive clients, can I suggest becoming a forum moderator. You won't get £25k a year though.

I am sure the lack of pay is made up by the love you receive.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a gig I want them to remember me fondly.

Last year(gig terminated then resurrected) I found jobserve worse than useless. Keeping in touch with a handful of pimps was far more productive.

I even tried calling up some pimps and offering money in a brown envelope - I have seen it suggested a few times here). I did that 3 times. That is 3 pimps who will never speak to me again. When did pimps develop morals?
    Don't get me wrong I'm never rude or blunt with them, I kindly remind them I am only really in the market for contract roles unless the permie package is insane. And to be fair, one was.. But that was one I applied for.

Keeping in touch with pimps who you've had memorable conversations with defintely helps - 4 out of my last 7 CV submissions have happened via people I've stayed in touch with. Interview on Tuesday and so far all looking promising!

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied

Surely it's more than double that to keep this lot in line? SJD's ad bill must pay for at least 4 of you with the amount it gets shown!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a gig I want them to remember me fondly.

Last year(gig terminated then resurrected) I found jobserve worse than useless. Keeping in touch with a handful of pimps was far more productive.
    I keep in touch with them, and if they call me when I'm in contract I'll let them know when it's due to end and they normally leave me alone until about a month before the end of contract (there are exceptions, though).

Jobserve is useful to see what's going on in the market, spotting the non-existent roles, or finding out what other agencies are advertising the same role.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a permie role in the middle of nowhere with an abusive client for £25k a year I want them to remember me fondly.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Well used to those emails which are generic mailshotty type things. But a few of these pimps have actually been calling me up about roles! It's just such a waste of time for us both.

I even tried calling up some pimps and offering money in a brown envelope - I have seen it suggested a few times here). I did that 3 times. That is 3 pimps who will never speak to me again. When did pimps develop morals?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X