• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Motorway driving explained"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Friday night M25 anti-clockwise at Junction 29 or 30. The road was only 3 lanes. 2 Audis in lanes 2 and 3 waving at each other doing 60mph.

I undertook, pulled into lane 2, then slammed my foot on the brake.

I think the guy behind had a brown trouser moment.

The guy in lane 3 pulled along side me looking well hacked off. A superb result.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Totally agree - there are plenty oiks in 10 year old Corsas and Puntos trying to make it in the fast lane skiddering all over the place that is the real danger. Overtaking in my Alfa on D mode is a very liberating feeling - 0-60 in just 6 seconds
    That's slloowwww. Anyway you shouldn't be doing 0mph on a motorway.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's gentlemanly to maintain a safe separation, and wait until the car in front has completed his overtaking manoeuvre. I'm not going to get out of the way any more quickly.

In my experience, there's plenty of impatient drivers with smaller, less powerful cars as well as lane hoggers with large powerful cars. I think we can all agree that for the most parts, all other road users are idiots.
    Totally agree - there are plenty oiks in 10 year old Corsas and Puntos trying to make it in the fast lane skiddering all over the place that is the real danger. Overtaking in my Alfa on D mode is a very liberating feeling - 0-60 in just 6 seconds

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You know where.
    nope, I met him when he was begging outside Zizzis.

What that man does to support the fiction he is an international pole choker....

respect!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    ANPR cameras aren't licensed for average speed calculations. It'll take the powers that be fifteen to twenty years just to make all the existing regulations that are in some way affected by the EU Brexit-compatible, so it's unlikely that situation will change for at least a quarter of a century.
    They are not using ANPR if you look closely to the left of the gantry signs they are bolting old fashioned average speed cans on them. They are even bright yellow. They are all over the top section of the M25 and starting to appear else where

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Yes MF said trade was brisk at Watford gap.
    i remember watford gap from a loong time ago. bands on the road, and bikers.
    oh, and honest long distance drivers looking on in disbelief

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You know where.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    If they don't clock you coming into and out of service stations, you just stop for a pot of tea or coffee and get a bit of billable work or business development done. Then off you go again. If that's your thing.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    KUATB
    Sorry, I'm stuck in the slow lane today.

I accept my status.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    You know better than to try and get away with that.

It might not be to everybody's taste, but the subject of road numbering in Britain is surprisingly interesting. No, really! This section explores the alphanumeric designations of Great Britain's roads in detail, covering the way the separate numbering systems work for all-purpose roads and for motorways, how the system was created in the early twentieth century, and some of its curiosities.
    Road Numbers | CBRD

KUATB

Originally posted by stek View Post
    That's where ya wrong!

British Roads FAQ | CBRD

Warning: if you go on that site, kiss goodbye to any work this afternoon, it's the go-to place for anyone interested in Motorways, A-roads, B-roads, and yes, they exist, C-roads.....

There's also a page on interesting junctions....
    I know the site well, and submit a road less than a mile from where I am currently typing this, yet also 228 miles away, as evidence that the system is not logical: Oddities and anomalies | CBRD

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Logic would dictate that there are at least 24 motorways other than the M25. Maybe we're all going a bit further afield than the suburban ring road that so obsesses the small proportion of the population that live within its ambit?

Yes, I know road numbering isn't logical, don't @ me.
    You know better than to try and get away with that.

It might not be to everybody's taste, but the subject of road numbering in Britain is surprisingly interesting. No, really! This section explores the alphanumeric designations of Great Britain's roads in detail, covering the way the separate numbering systems work for all-purpose roads and for motorways, how the system was created in the early twentieth century, and some of its curiosities.
    Road Numbers | CBRD

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    On my SAC, the tutor woman thing said you are allowed 10% speedo error, plus 3mph (I think) at the discretion if the Chief Constable. And the Chief Constables have been told not to exercise that discretion which is presumably why I was done twice for 34 in a 30. And 81 in a 70. That was 6 points plus SAC inside 6 months after 30 years of nothing. That was five years ago now.

Suppose I had it coming though, I well remember doing Manchester to Rhyl on a second contract I had (two at once for the only time ever) along the M63/A50-something at 110 mph (Audi 200 Quattro Turbo - C100 BNF), and East Kilbride to Carlisle on the M74 at well over 90 all the way (Ford Galaxy MPV - Can't remember reg, Y123 ABC.).
    The regulations say that you can have 10% speedo error, but only over your actual speed. There's no allowance for your speedo to be reading under your actual speed.

So if it shows 70mph, you may really be doing as little as 63mph, but if you're really doing 71mph then your vehicle isn't roadworthy and you can be prosecuted for that as well as speeding.

The ACPO thing allows 10% + 2mph, but it isn't based on any legal allowance for your speedo to be reading under; just allowing for human incompetence, so they can focus on those who are knowingly flouting the law.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 6 October 2017, 16:15.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    So your speedo probably read closer to 70.

I tend to stick to an indicated 60-ish in a 50 average, which is more like low to mid 50s so within tolerance. No points in 20 years, and I speed every time I drive, if only by a little bit.
    On my SAC, the tutor woman thing said you are allowed 10% speedo error, plus 3mph (I think) at the discretion if the Chief Constable. And the Chief Constables have been told not to exercise that discretion which is presumably why I was done twice for 34 in a 30. And 81 in a 70. That was 6 points plus SAC inside 6 months after 30 years of nothing. That was five years ago now.

Suppose I had it coming though, I well remember doing Manchester to Rhyl on a second contract I had (two at once for the only time ever) along the M63/A50-something at 110 mph (Audi 200 Quattro Turbo - C100 BNF), and East Kilbride to Carlisle on the M74 at well over 90 all the way (Ford Galaxy MPV - Can't remember reg, Y123 ABC.).

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Apparently, I was doing 61 in a 50 zone .....

So your speedo probably read closer to 70.

I tend to stick to an indicated 60-ish in a 50 average, which is more like low to mid 50s so within tolerance. No points in 20 years, and I speed every time I drive, if only by a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    This morning I opened a letter that turned out to be from Essex Police.

Apparently, I was doing 61 in a 50 zone ..... that was between Junction 23 and 27 of the M25, last Sunday at 13:10

Bugger. First speeding ticket in 7 years.
    Better learn to use the TomTom again, tomtomagain......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X