• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you rather work closer to home for 30% less money than staying away from home?"

Collapse

• lillie421
    replied
    For me, definitely would rather work closer to home. I love being able to go home in my own bed. Could never have a job which requires constant travelling and staying elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
    Advanced train tickets for £10! Seriously? How far in advance? A quick check on prices and the cheapest returns from Manchester to London 2 weeks in advance were around £200. Prices dropped a bit off peak but I'm not sure the client would be happy with me pitching up at 12pm on Monday and leaving at 2pm on a Thursday.....would they...?
    You need to talk to your client about starting and leaving times once you show you aren't a bellend. Lots of clients are now flexible if you make up hours in the week either at on their site (preferable to them) or at home. That could mean doing short days on the day you travel down, doing longer days on the days you are in London, and starting early but doing a shorter day on the day to leave.

Anyway Virgin releases batches of tickets for the coming months every few months. You are looking at booking a minimum of 6 weeks ahead. If you are a regular traveller you just sign up for their marketing stuff and you will get the emails of when they release the tickets.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Trace
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Hi - I have tried CAS - they have a couple of options around Golders Green, nice area for £50 a night. One fairly pleasant, the other not so. I found a much better deal with a couple of Best Westerns for around £50 a night, much nicer - one in Croydon opposite the hospital for just £50 with a kithen and aircon. The area was no go zombie land at nights though.

Top tip for anyone ex service including TA - provided you have two years service you can use the military hotels. I am a member of both Union Jack and Victory Services Clubs for around £20 a year. I can get rooms for around £40 a night, lovely restaurants for meal and drink for a tenner and beer for £2.50. Well worth registering for.
    Will check CAS out - sounds like a good option. As long as they're not too far from client site to travel in to. I'm a London virgin so the less travel time between spots the better

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Trace
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why would the OP commute by plane when they can get advanced train tickets from around £10?
    Advanced train tickets for £10! Seriously? How far in advance? A quick check on prices and the cheapest returns from Manchester to London 2 weeks in advance were around £200. Prices dropped a bit off peak but I'm not sure the client would be happy with me pitching up at 12pm on Monday and leaving at 2pm on a Thursday.....would they...?

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Hi - I have tried CAS - they have a couple of options around Golders Green, nice area for £50 a night. One fairly pleasant, the other not so. I found a much better deal with a couple of Best Westerns for around £50 a night, much nicer - one in Croydon opposite the hospital for just £50 with a kithen and aircon. The area was no go zombie land at nights though.

Top tip for anyone ex service including TA - provided you have two years service you can use the military hotels. I am a member of both Union Jack and Victory Services Clubs for around £20 a year. I can get rooms for around £40 a night, lovely restaurants for meal and drink for a tenner and beer for £2.50. Well worth registering for.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Short-term or long-term gig?

If working in London with accommodation, food, flight tickets...etc.
    (Assuming that you are planning to commute by plain) will be more than 30% less, no, unless it's a short-term gig and gives you the possibility to increase your connections there and planning to have more gigs in London...and If you like London.

If you want to continue to increase your business connections around your area, I would choose Liverpool.
    Why would the OP commute by plane when they can get advanced train tickets from around £10?

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Short-term or long-term gig?

If working in London with accommodation, food, flight tickets...etc.
    (Assuming that you are planning to commute by plain) will be more than 30% less, no, unless it's a short-term gig and gives you the possibility to increase your connections there and planning to have more gigs in London...and If you like London.

If you want to continue to increase your business connections around your area, I would choose Liverpool.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    My methodology is spending a weekend before starting a new gig, viewing a few rooms from spareroom.co.uk - 80% on average I'd be happy to stay in. It's a £600-800 loss if it goes tits up but that's merely the cost of doing business.

Being away from your partner can be a good thing, personally I've got used to having my own space during the week, having free time to tinker etc. (way more fulfilling than cooking and watching tulipe on the TV every night)

Being a Northerner myself, nothing compares to London IMO - I strongly recommend you try it atleast once.

Does the company in Holborn start with S and end in "ainsburys"?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Trace
    replied
    I've been checking out airbnbs (not sharing) against staying in hotels. The crafty thing is that they seem a cheaper option until cleaning and service fees are added. I'm thinking for the sake of a couple of nights a week I might as well stay in a hotel...and hope the restaurant food is OK! Has anyone tried any of these businesses online which look for and organise accommodation for contractors e.g Contractor Accommodation Services (CAS)? They say they don't charge a fee but surely you don't get anything for nothing, right? ??

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You get more money and you get to WFH 2 days... seems a no-brainer to me. If it was 5 days in London that's a different story but this seems a great option to me.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    depends on your quality of life at home doesn't it

Milan.
    its great at your house when you stay away apparently

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Your knowledge of the seedier parts of the Liverpool docks is impressive.
    See sig.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    As long as he's not competing with you noshing Turkish sailors at Seaforth Dock, I'm not too worried.
    Your knowledge of the seedier parts of the Liverpool docks is impressive.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They tell me 6 times a day to go find the golden rivet. I've still not found the bugger!
    They're hinting you need knee implants.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    As long as he's not competing with you noshing Turkish sailors at Seaforth Dock, I'm not too worried.
    They tell me 6 times a day to go find the golden rivet. I've still not found the bugger!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X