• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Its all kicking off in Las Vegas"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Bloody hell. He wanted to do some serious damage.

A bit like Pistorius using Dum-Dum bullets when he killed his girlfriend.

qh

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just playing devils advocate. The guy could have caused many more deaths like those in Nice were a truck driven through the crowd at speed. Why would gun control change that?
    Trucks are not specifically designed to kill and injure.
    You have to have a license and insurance to drive a truck
    When you have a truck, the police can pull you over and will stop you if you are breaking the law.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    From my experience of that hotel, this idea just isn't practical. Instead of "blaming" the hotel, the "authorities" should be focusing on his how the hell this guy managed to get hold of enough high-end hardware to equip a small army, but that means some form of gun control, and that just isn't going to happen. Americans should just accept that these sort of events are going to happen, the price they have to pay for unregulated, or poorly regulated gun ownership.
    Just playing devils advocate. The guy could have caused many more deaths like those in Nice were a truck driven through the crowd at speed. Why would gun control change that?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    From my experience of that hotel, this idea just isn't practical. Instead of "blaming" the hotel, the "authorities" should be focusing on his how the hell this guy managed to get hold of enough high-end hardware to equip a small army, but that means some form of gun control, and that just isn't going to happen. Americans should just accept that these sort of events are going to happen, the price they have to pay for unregulated, or poorly regulated gun ownership.
    Could you regulate America now, even if you wanted. They have so many guns in circulation, if a nutter wanted to get hold of one, would it still be too easy for them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    the price they have to pay for not understanding there is a slight difference between a single barrel shotgun in 1780 when you live in a world with bears nearby and an automatic machine guns in the 21st century when the biggest risk is the Starbucks queue length.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Seen statements that the hotel should have done more, ie x ray scanners but I doubt that would have stopped the guy from what the police found, more guns, ammo, ammonia, cameras in the hotel, he was planning this for a while and he planned in fine detail. He could easily have fired the weapons from another high vantage point.

I doubt they'll ever find the reason.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    The reason seems pointless. As far as the perp is concerned if he had just topped himself instead then the outcome for him is identical. No message or build up (that we know of so far) to explain why he did it so no lasting legacy than another nutter goes postal.

As someone relatively sane it's hard to comprehend why people kill then top themselves rather than just top themselves. They won't benefit from knowing what the outcome is, so their only reward is the action itself at that moment. i.e. They just want to kill people but not face the consequences.

So pointless. Maybe evil is the right word, whether mentally ill or not. The planning required gives little room for compassion for the perp.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Seen statements that the hotel should have done more, ie x ray scanners but I doubt that would have stopped the guy from what the police found, more guns, ammo, ammonia, cameras in the hotel, he was planning this for a while and he planned in fine detail. He could easily have fired the weapons from another high vantage point.

qh
    Supposedly he planned to do this the previous weekend but couldn't book a suitable room so cancelled....

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

qh

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Is it time to prise the gun from Charlton Heston's cold dead hand?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Tragic and terrible incident, but it's almost like the USA shrugs its shoulders at these things. I mean, it wasn't a Islamic shooter, so why get wound up about it? That's what it feels like in these cases.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Just seen this elsewhere:

477 Days, 521 Mass Shootings. Zero Action From Congress.

(recurring)

So apart from the scale this latest (reported) occurrence is just another day in the life of the USA.

I guess we shouldn't really bat an eye lid when that other type of terrorist kills some people over there, it may not even be the worst incident that day. Yet they will be up in arms about wanting something done.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Do they not have cleaners in the rooms every day like most decent hotels? Shirley they'd have wondered what all the cases were for, though maybe on the scale of weird stuff in Vegas it would barely register, and even if it did they maybe didn't think it worth escalating, presuming they never peeked inside.

For all they knew he may have been an arms dealer doing legit business seeing as you can get a rifle when you open a bank account (as per that 'Bowling For Columbine' documentary), and probably when you order room service if you feel a bit vulnerable without one in your room.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Ten suitcases according to something this morning.
    No problem. There are thousands of people milling around, 24/7. You only realise it's 5am when the cleaners come out with their vacuum cleaners (no windows or clocks anywhere). An elderly bloke wheeling a couple of suitcases to the lifts wouldn't have even been noticed. Even if he repeated the exercise several times.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    It's a big* place, and the hotel lifts are about a mile away from the car park (or it certainly felt like it). It probably took him several days to get it all shifted, but if it was all bagged up no-one would have given him a second glance.

*"Big" takes on a whole new meaning in Vegas, if you've never been...
    Ten suitcases according to something this morning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X