• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting Milestone"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Can you work from home?

Can you have flexibility time?

Can you have lots of holiday?
    Funny enough those sort of terms are available, so that's positive, and it's more the typical permie working practices (performance reviews and getting embroiled in all that nonsense) that would put me off, hence why I've resisted going back to permieland since I escaped.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Permie at a public sector body?! Seriously Hobo take the red pill, wake up and see what's what.

I suppose though it depends on your age and if you actually want to do anything interesting on the 9 to 5 rat maze. ...
    That's the thing. As I get older some of the attraction of contracting wanes, especially the working away from home during the week aspect, the uncertainty of how long a contract may last and never really feeling settled, and having to keep relatively up to date on the IT skills when the fundamentals remain the same.

Not sure which is the chicken and egg in the scenario but I also find my lack of commitment to working for organisations (though none of my contracts have only been the 3 months or so initially offered, so not that short) is reflected in other aspects of life, always feeling 'on the road' and never really settled.

I suppose that's what retirement is for and in the meantime the significant time off between contracts allows me to avoid feeling burnt out and renews my desire to keep at it, at the cost of meaning financial independence and early retirement is less likely or delayed.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    That’s 10 years more than many of the posters on here.

Congratulations, I hope your company bought you a gift.
    Damn. Forgot to buy myself a present on 10 years.

Just kicked off my 13th year of trading. For something I fell into by accident, I've done ok with little bench time. I'm rubbish at saving so will probably have to work until I drop dead but I like working so I don't mind*

*at the moment; opinion subject to change

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Exactly. 10 years? - he's still a novice. Come back when you've done 25 years, banged two chief executives' secretaries, drunk each IT director under the table, and dropped a production database..
    Only 2 secretaries and one prod db? Unless that’s “per year”, I’m starting to think you might be ScooterCandy.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    lightweights.
    45 years and counting ;-)
    divorce put paid to most of the funds, the rest was sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. although i HAVE squandered some........
    Exactly. 10 years? - he's still a novice. Come back when you've done 25 years, banged two chief executives' secretaries, drunk each IT director under the table, and dropped a production database..

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    20 years contracting with some permie stints to pick up new skills/make new contacts.
    Funnily enough thought it would dry up, but currently never had it so good.
    If you want a long contracting career, keep training is my advice, always try and pick up new skills - luckily I enjoy doing that.
    Could retire but still enjoying it.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Yes it is 10 years ago today that I started my contracting career

Stuff....

So here is to another ten years
    Poor sap, I did 10 years then retired.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    This has made me realise I'll be 20 years in contracting next year.

Though have had a few significant timeouts over those years but never went back to permie.
    Still feel relatively skint though, considering the amount I have invoiced over that time.
    Then again, my warchest means I could take 5 years off at current burn rate.

I must be having a mid contractor life crisis as I've been mulling over going permie at current public sector client (they have a vacancy for a similar role I'm doing for them), and take the easy life to retirement like many there seem to be doing. May not be a completely bad idea when considering the pension and other salary package benefits they are potentially offering.

I may string them along like a PM contractor I worked with over 10 years ago, who strung them along saying he was interested in going permie but needed better terms. I expect he's still there permitracting, making the brexit negotiations seem swift and sane.
    Permie at a public sector body?! Seriously Hobo take the red pill, wake up and see what's what.

I suppose though it depends on your age and if you actually want to do anything interesting on the 9 to 5 rat maze.

And 5 years warchest should be transferable into an (almost) unlimited timespan investment.

But 20 years, wow. I'm at 13 years and running down this last client who have just asked me to renew under less-than-favourable terms. I've actually saved my pin-striped suit that I will be burning when I'm done with contracting (and possibly IT), in the not too distant future. Bit young to retire, but life isn't about working, there's more to do before we die.

Good luck H.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I hit 9 years in June, haven't regretted it for a second, and long may it continue!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

lightweights.
    45 years and counting ;-)
    divorce put paid to most of the funds, the rest was sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. although i HAVE squandered some........

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Though have had a few significant timeouts over those years but never went back to permie.
    Still feel relatively skint though, considering the amount I have invoiced over that time.

I must be having a mid contractor life crisis as I've been mulling over going permie at current public sector client (they have a vacancy for a similar role I'm doing for them), and take the easy life to retirement like many there seem to be doing. May not be a completely bad idea when considering the pension and other salary package benefits they are potentially offering.

I may string them along like a PM contractor I worked with over 10 years ago, who strung them along saying he was interested in going permie but needed better terms. I expect he's still there permitracting, making the brexit negotiations seem swift and sane.
    Can you work from home?

Can you have flexibility time?

Can you have lots of holiday?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    [QUOTE=ChimpMaster;2473213]Wow that's awesome, well done and congrats!

Plans now? Semi ? [QUOTE]

I'm planning a semi sometime soon

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Was just about to text you with a juicy gig too. Never mind.
    Very good. Text me the details and I'll see if I know anyone who'd be interested.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    'Twas 20 years ago last July that Zeity made a brief foray into the contracting market, followed by a 3 week return to employment in a tuliphole in the SO2 fallout zone from the coking ovens in the Llanwern steelworks in Newport, which prompted another attempt at contracting which lasted for 7 years.

Congrats on surviving so long.

13 years more than I managed.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 22 September 2017, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X